By: baileywroth (offline)  Wednesday, 27 April 2011 @ 11:46 AM ICT (Read 1989 times)  

Hi,

My friend and I are taking a trip to Thailand and Laos in August of this year and plan to do hire bike for most of the travel. I have a few questions since i havnt been there before:

- Will i need an international bike licence to hire a bike
- where is the best place to hire a bike in Thailand? I read that it is impossible in Bangkok....
- Can i take a hire bike from Thailand into Laos?
- If hiring a bike in Laos/North Thailand, can i drop it of in south Thailand/Malaysia. i.e one way trip

Any tips would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bailey.

baileywroth

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: Anonymous: Jeffrey ()  Wednesday, 27 April 2011 @ 05:21 PM ICT  

My friend and I are taking a trip to Thailand and Laos in August of this year and plan to do hire bike for most of the travel. I have a few questions since i havnt been there before: How long will you be here ???

- Will i need an international bike licence to hire a bike Yes and no. If your here renting a bike locally and just run it a few days that is one thing they often overlook. If your really going all over, that may be an issue. The more your prepare the less trouble you will have
- where is the best place to hire a bike in Thailand? I read that it is impossible in Bangkok.... Bangkok has many rental places. But what is your route of travel. Pattaya and other resort areas have many places to rent as well as Chiang Mai
- Can i take a hire bike from Thailand into Laos? All rental contracts say the bike is to stay in Thailand or even locally. Some TOur company with Guides take groups across but I have not heard of renting a bike and just riding across. You usually leave your passport as deposit when renting a bike, this too adds problems for the crossing
- If hiring a bike in Laos/North Thailand, can i drop it of in south Thailand/Malaysia. i.e one way trip I know of 1 Chaing Mai company that will do this, but there is an extra travel fee. And that bike stays within Thailand and upon return you get your passport back.

Any tips would be greatly apreciated. Thailand is one of the best places to ride I know. That is why I am here. Thailand itself can keep you busy riding for weeks or months. Lao, the roads are less improved as in Thailand. Plan your trip well. Always wear a helmet. Have fun

Thanks in advance,

Bailey. [/p][/QUOTE]

2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association