By: Anonymous: handbag ()  Thursday, 08 July 2010 @ 10:59 PM ICT (Read 5671 times)  

After Inspection – A complete new concept for Thailand, but not unknown in European countries – some people at the government appointed exhaust emission testing facility told me today that the Thai government wants to introduce a emission re-inspection of vehicles every two years after they are sold and cleared for Thai emission standard.

As I understand it, you buy for example a Kawasaki ER6N today, than you buy a aftermarket exhaust system, maybe a Power Commander alternative fueling system and your motorcycle will fail on the next AI (After-Inspection).

The cost for these new ridicules emission and road-safety test is set at 200 Baht for ever two years, and it applies for all vehicles on the Thai road – motorcycles with any engine size and cars … to trucks (guess we not have much trucks on the road soon)

By: Anonymous: Chang Noi ()  Friday, 09 July 2010 @ 09:58 AM ICT  

Well actually by Thai law you are not allowed to change anything on your car or bike from the orginal.
Never heard of saw of any problem about that at the DLT.
But if they would ever start to do that then you just put your orginal things back before testing.

Chang Noi

By: Danny (offline)  Thursday, 30 September 2010 @ 09:55 PM ICT  

Quote by: handbag

After Inspection – A complete new concept for Thailand, but not unknown in European countries – some people at the government appointed exhaust emission testing facility told me today that the Thai government wants to introduce a emission re-inspection of vehicles every two years after they are sold and cleared for Thai emission standard.

As I understand it, you buy for example a Kawasaki ER6N today, than you buy a aftermarket exhaust system, maybe a Power Commander alternative fueling system and your motorcycle will fail on the next AI (After-Inspection).

The cost for these new ridicules emission and road-safety test is set at 200 Baht for ever two years, and it applies for all vehicles on the Thai road – motorcycles with any engine size and cars … to trucks (guess we not have much trucks on the road soon)

Has anyone heard anymore about the emission testing?? are they going to start doing the retesting or is that something in the distant future yet.

Danny

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: Anonymous: John B ()  Friday, 28 January 2011 @ 01:55 PM ICT  

How could any 4 stroke 125 fail and how could any 2 stroke pass? 2 strokes make more CO NO2 Hydrocarbons etc than
most 2.0 liter 4 stroke cars. 4 stroke motorbikes are 1/8th the displacement of 2 liter 4 cylinder cars.The limit for emmisions
would be geared for a passing 4 cylinder passenger cars with some adjustment for 6 or even eight cylinder cars.

It would be awful hard fora Honda Wave to fail smog no mater what exhaust set up it had I would think. I love 2 strokes
and used to ride dirt bikes but they and all those old trucks and buses you mentioned are a real nuisance to ride behind.

By: Anonymous: John B ()  Friday, 28 January 2011 @ 01:58 PM ICT  

Correction 4 stroke motorbikes are 1/16th the displacement of 2 liter 4 cylinder passenger cars.

By: Anonymous: Walter ()  Saturday, 29 January 2011 @ 03:10 PM ICT  

First we not talking here about new motorcycle registrations, most motorcycles with a two-stroke engine are registered about 10-years ago. The rules for exhaust emission was less strict then they are today. Still the registration of 10-year old bikes are valid, and if these 10-year old bikes go to the Department of Land Transport they have to pass the rules from 10-years ago (the day they did get registered).

Trying to register a new, or a freshly imported two-stroke motorcycle, will not be possible anymore with the current exhaust emission rules.

By: Matty (offline)  Sunday, 30 January 2011 @ 10:46 AM ICT  

If motorcycle manufacturers wanted to sell 2 stroke bikes they could. The technology to pass the emmisions tests is currently available and in use today.
Direct Injection 2 stroke technology is used in Evinrude Outboard boat engines (Bombardier Company i think )
These outboards are faster accelerating have higher top end power and much lighter weight than similar 4 stroke outboards.

Come on motorcycle manufacturers, give us some high performance , clean, 2 stroke bikes , you can do it if you want...
Matt...

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Richard (offline)  Sunday, 30 January 2011 @ 12:25 PM ICT  

Quote by: Matty

If motorcycle manufacturers wanted to sell 2 stroke bikes they could. The technology to pass the emmisions tests is currently available and in use today.
Direct Injection 2 stroke technology is used in Evinrude Outboard boat engines (Bombardier Company i think )
These outboards are faster accelerating have higher top end power and much lighter weight than similar 4 stroke outboards.

Come on motorcycle manufacturers, give us some high performance , clean, 2 stroke bikes , you can do it if you want...
Matt...

Hi Matt,

Some motorcycle manufacturers already have two-stroke motorcycles that could pass the Thai emission tests, but they fail the to get registered because the Thai government has said to move all two-strokes of the Thai roads.

The Cagiva Mito SP525 passes in Europe the EuroIII standard with ease, it's even more clean than some four-stroke engines in Thailand who pass emission testing.

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

8 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association