14 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: JIMJFOX (offline)  Monday, 09 May 2016 @ 07:08 PM ICT (Read 1505 times)  

Yamaha GT125 -- 43k Baht
Yamaha 150 Exciter-- 61k Baht
Honda PCX 150-- 68k Baht
Honda CBR150R-- 81k Baht

Each has it's merits/shortcomings and I have been trying to decide which
model might give me most satisfaction and enjoyment. Here are some thoughts...

1. Price/value for money
2. Performance/comfort
3. Scooter [automatic]- like that
4. Motorcycle- manual, clutch. Not so much
5. Ditto- performance bonus
6. Style- all fair to good; CBR best
7. All-round compromise- Exciter

Fearing that whatever I buy I will wish I'd got one of the others.
Your informed opinions are welcomed, especially as an owner
of one or more in the list.

JIMJFOX

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: Anonymous: Jon Jon ()  Tuesday, 10 May 2016 @ 12:37 AM ICT  

If you consider the Honda CBR150R you should also look at the Yamaha YZF-R15, which is an excellent machine... and according to some much better than the Honda CBR150R.

By: JIMJFOX (offline)  Monday, 16 May 2016 @ 08:42 AM ICT  

Quote by: Jon Jon

If you consider the Honda CBR150R you should also look at the Yamaha YZF-R15, which is an excellent machine... and according to some much better than the Honda CBR150R.

According to others, not as good...

OK, unhelpful. I expected exactly this reply, as if someone has a vested interest in pushing something NOT on my list. It costs more and is a 'boy racer' design- I should have said I'm an old guy; but that's why I MADE A LIST!

JIMJFOX

Group Comfort
Level:

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Monday, 16 May 2016 @ 11:06 AM ICT  

The Honda CBR150R is the all-time favorite, the engine used in the CBR150R is for 14-years in production and offers probably the best reliability…

The purchase price of the Honda CBR150R is maybe the highest, but service cost is very little, and parts are available everywhere. Even aftermarket parts are widely available…

Basically the only negative things anybody can really say about the Honda CBR150R is that the stock IRC Road Winner tires are not the best choice for a motorcycle like this…

The latest version (2016) has a little bit less power, not that you notice it… but you also get better mileage out of your fuel…

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Wednesday, 18 May 2016 @ 10:12 AM ICT  

Jim,

From your list I'd go for the 150 Exciter. I know of at least one big bike rider who has one for use as a "chicken chaser" and going up and down the mountain in Chiang Mai.

A lot does however depend on your location and riding habits. The Exciter obviously has gears which is great if you live in the countryside and have nice winding roads but not so good stuck in Pattaya or Bangkok traffic.

In truth as I am not a boy racer anymore and live in Bangkok i would go off your list and get a Yamaha Nmax. More zip than a PCX, ABS front and back as standard. Yes Honda is popular here but there is a school of thought that says Yamaha has a better build quality. If you live near a Yamaha dealer spend the extra 10,000 baht and get an Nmax.

If you only want a grocery getter then the Yamaha 125 will do just fine.

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: JIMJFOX (offline)  Wednesday, 18 May 2016 @ 01:09 PM ICT  

Quote by: Flying Squirrel

Jim,

From your list I'd go for the 150 Exciter. I know of at least one big bike rider who has one for use as a "chicken chaser" and going up and down the mountain in Chiang Mai.

A lot does however depend on your location and riding habits. The Exciter obviously has gears which is great if you live in the countryside and have nice winding roads but not so good stuck in Pattaya or Bangkok traffic.

In truth as I am not a boy racer anymore and live in Bangkok i would go off your list and get a Yamaha Nmax. More zip than a PCX, ABS front and back as standard. Yes Honda is popular here but there is a school of thought that says Yamaha has a better build quality. If you live near a Yamaha dealer spend the extra 10,000 baht and get an Nmax.

If you only want a grocery getter then the Yamaha 125 will do just fine.

Thanks for the opinion. Saw the NMax and thought it looked good but the budget has to stop somewhere.
Resale value has a bearing but by all accounts the CBR 150 has huge depreciation, Yamaha an unknown.
Scooter-v-motorbike comes down to 3 things- automatic preferred to manual and comfort; the upright sitting
posture on scooter puts all weight on base of spine [awful on long ride/bad roads] whereas the bike distributes weight between footpegs, seat and handlebars, plus the bigger wheels give a 'softer' ride; storage nice on
the scooter.

BIG negative in Thailand- test rides are a NO-NO in Chiang Rai. Should hire each before deciding.

JIMJFOX

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Wednesday, 18 May 2016 @ 01:44 PM ICT  

As I said if I lived where the roads are not clogged with traffic like in Chiang Rai? I would probably go for Exciter. But then you express a desire for auto?

From a spine point of view a slight stretch to the bars , sports bike style puts a slight curve in the spine which then flexes and absorbs shock caused by bumps. Like leaning forward when riding a bicycle. Sitting bolt upright like a Harley puts compression load on the spine.
Sit on an exciter and see how it feels. Gears you can get used to and they keep the mind alert as you have to be conscious about speed relative to what gear you are in. But if it is difficulty in squeezing the clutch Then it might have to be the PCX but you still have a rear brake to squeeze!

Storage? All bikes can be fitted with a rack and top box!

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 18 May 2016 @ 03:50 PM ICT  

What about a simple Honda Wave 125i, they virtual indestructible, they have a 4-speed gearbox with semi-automatic clutch… and they beat ever 150cc automatic going up a mountain… They hold value very good.

One downside is probably they not look that cool…. Road Cruise

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Friday, 20 May 2016 @ 10:24 AM ICT  

and they beat every 150cc automatic going up a mountain…

IdeaNot the ones with aftermarket variators Thumbup

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:

By: news (offline)  Friday, 20 May 2016 @ 06:58 PM ICT  

and they beat every 150cc automatic going up a mountain…

IdeaNot the ones with aftermarket variators Thumbup

That's true, but if we going into modifying, some will say if we do this modification to the Honda Wave 125 it will fly again past any automatic 150cc up hill... So lets only talk about un-modified motorcycles and scooters....

OF course a Honda PCX 150 looks much better and the Yamaha Exciter 150 will probably offer the best performance to weight, and with the latest Honda CBR150R even some ladies will look and smile....

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Friday, 20 May 2016 @ 10:35 PM ICT  

Changing the variator does not change the characteristics of the engine or its power output so one could argue it isn't a modification. All it does is makes better use of what is available from the factory by eliminating the compromise made by the manufacturer. The engine as such is still stock.

If you think visually the PCX is better than the Exciter and you have a preference for auto, why even start the thread. I suspect you have already made your decision. You just need someone else to validate it.

I'll get my hat!

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:

By: JIMJFOX (offline)  Saturday, 21 May 2016 @ 03:45 PM ICT  

Changing the variator does not change the characteristics of the engine or its power output so one could argue it isn't a modification. All it does is makes better use of what is available from the factory by eliminating the compromise made by the manufacturer. The engine as such is still stock.

If you think visually the PCX is better than the Exciter and you have a preference for auto, why even start the thread. I suspect you have already made your decision. You just need someone else to validate it.

I'll get my hat!

Nope! The decision is still up in the air; don't think I said the PCX looked better than the Exciter- another commenter's opinion?

I suspect I may be seduced by the new twin-headlight CBR having seen some pictures... hold on to your hat :-))

JIMJFOX

Group Comfort
Level:

By: JIMJFOX (offline)  Wednesday, 25 May 2016 @ 08:09 PM ICT  

Quote by: JIMJFOX

I'll get my hat!

Nope! The decision is still up in the air; don't think I said the PCX looked better than the Exciter- another commenter's opinion?

I suspect I may be seduced by the new twin-headlight CBR having seen some pictures... hold on to your hat :-))

Well done, Flying Squirrel- turns out I went for the PCX, even though the price was much higher than I thought, same as the CBR 150R; however there were none available in CR, according to several dealers. On looking around, I found two just near my apartment and the dealer was generous, selling for 75,500. Made my day!

Thanks to all who took time to reply

JIMJFOX

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: Roland ()  Friday, 11 November 2016 @ 07:51 AM ICT  

Hi, I have a Yamaha Exciter 150 and I never regret buying it. The Exciter is an excellent motorbike

14 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association