By: Anonymous: Jim D ()  Monday, 23 March 2015 @ 09:09 AM ICT (Read 911 times)  

If some new technology doesn't make things that much better, the logical question is, why use it? For example, why the need for an expensive, needless thing such as a ride-by-wire throttle? I have replaced clutch and throttle cables on the side of the road and can't imagine doing anything to repair a failed computer-controlled unit on a trip without investing huge amounts of money and time waiting for the exact part. Sometimes, a cable, a carburetor and getting to really know your motorcycle is 10 times better than having the motorcycle do it all for you...

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Monday, 23 March 2015 @ 09:41 AM ICT  

To a certain extent, I agree: Technology for its own sake – which you see more often in modern cars than on motorcycles – can offer just as much grief and potential expense as convenience. But while ride-by-wire does complicate what once was a dead-simple system, it is far from 'needless' technology.

For one thing, ride-by-wire has allowed many current motorcycles to meet stringent noise and emissions requirements despite having highly tuned engines that offer tremendous performance. Under certain conditions, the ECU determines the actual throttle opening, despite what the rider might do with the twistgrip.

Sometimes, those circumstances involve the combination of engine rpm, road speed and transmission gear at which sound levels are officially tested; it the throttle were opened as much as the rider requested, the motorcycle would fail the environmental test. Same goes for certain aspects of exhaust emissions certification: To pass that test, throttle openings might have to be slightly less than what the rider dialed up. And if manufacturers are caught selling motorcycles that cannot meet those requirements, the penalties are severe.

Then there is the rideability factor. Modern sportbike engines, especially those in the liter class, pump out huge amounts of power throughout the entire rpm range. With a manual throttle, even a little too much tsistgrip during a mid-corner lean could cause a crash. But with ride-by-wire (and, when applicable, traction control, which also works via computer-controlled throttles), power can be modulated in a way that greatly lessens the likelihood of such an outcome, regardless of how far or how rapidly the twistgrip is opened.

So, yes, without technology, the world would be a much simpler, potentially less-expensive place. But for motorcycle riders in particular, it might also be a more dangerous place, even though we all could be riding motorcycles that offered less-exciting performance.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: TravelJob ()  Sunday, 26 April 2015 @ 07:52 PM ICT  

I have a new motorcycle, just a few months old and I had a problem with that the motorcycle was difficult to start and sometimes it had no acceleration power.

The dealer quickly found out that it was a problem with the fuel injection system, not precisely know which part was the problem, but the dealer didn't had the part and needed to order it from the manufacturer/distributor in Bangkok.

If the motorcycle had carburetors I'm sure the problem was fixed in a few minutes, or an hour or two at the most.

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association