By: Anonymous: David ()  Saturday, 20 September 2014 @ 03:06 PM ICT (Read 2963 times)  

There's been much speculation about the arrival date of this bike in Thailand.
One I read some time ago alleged it would be EFI and was due last July.
Wrong.

A Kawasaki salesman told me yesterday that the Thai version of the KLR is still trying to pass the emissions tests here and can't.

He is now suggesting and early 2015 arrival.

By: news (offline)  Monday, 22 September 2014 @ 07:24 PM ICT  

The 2015 Kawasaki KLR650 was not so long ago introduced in the USA, and the engine technical specifications did not change, it still breaths by a Keihin CVK40 carburetor.

The truth is that the Kawasaki KLR650 can meet Thai exhaust regulations, I know several KLR650's that pass the Thai emission test and are legally on the road in Thailand. Matter of fact Redbaron in Bangkok has a 2013 Kawasaki KLR650 available with greenbook and all papers 100% legal for 530,000 THB.

The real reason why the Kawasaki KLR650 is not available in Thailand, while it's made here, is that Kawasaki made a deal with BOI (Thai Board of Investment) to sell a certain amount of ER6 (ER6N, Ninja 650 and Versys 650) motorcycles, to meet this demand / quota Kawasaki cannot have any competition from its own lineup...

With the 2 very successful platforms from Honda the twin-cylinder 500cc and the inline-four 650cc, Kawasaki feels the pressure even more... and I have my doubts that they will introduce the Kawasaki KLR650 which will surely take some market from the Kawasaki Versys 650.

If Kawasaki Thailand doesn't meet its production targets it has to pay more tax, more tax (and not only for what they make for the domestic market). So you see that even we have nothing to do with international motorcycle marketing politics we still suffer from it...

So lets be honest if you marketing at Kawasaki HQ, will you introduce a Kawasaki KLR650 in Thailand and risk the chance that you will make less profit worldwide on Kawasaki's most successful models (the ER6N, Ninja 650 and Versys 650)?

Click on image to open

The link to the 2015 Kawasaki KLR650 Specifications www.kawasaki.com/Products/Product-Specifications.aspx?scid=14&id=854

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: David ()  Tuesday, 23 September 2014 @ 12:17 PM ICT  

Excellent and detailed response and thank you for sharing the real reasons.

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association