By: Anonymous: David ()  Saturday, 13 June 2009 @ 09:51 PM ICT (Read 7895 times)  

I believe this bike is assembled here in Thailand, yet Kawasaki Thailand say it will not be released here.
They say it does not pass the Thai emissions laws.

I asked them if the bike could be modified to enable it to pass the laws (maybe by fitting the fuel injectors) but Kawasaki did not respond to that question, only saying the bike will not be available here.

This seems like a very suitable bike for touring Thailand and neighboring countries.
It is available in Malaysia (at a premium price).

I tend to think the 'emission laws' response/excuse is just a smoke screen (sorry). I support ant-pollution regulations, but look at what is allowed onto the roads here!

Questions;

How can we get Kawasaki to release this bike in Thailand?
Can a new one be purchased in Malaysia and legally brought in?

Do other manufacturers have a similar bike that is available here?

By: news (offline)  Monday, 15 June 2009 @ 08:27 AM ICT  

The Kawasaki KLR650 is a single-cylinder 651cc engine with a carburetor, not exactly the basis for a low exhaust emission. Transforming the KLR650 into a green machine would probably cost to much, it is intended as low-cost motorcycle. It is more likely that Kawasaki will in the near future introduce the KLX450R in Thailand

Importing the Kawasaki KLR650 from Malaysia will not be that difficult, but, getting it fully legal will make it probably more expensive then other motorcycles in the 650cc range.

BMW offers in Thailand the G 650 and F 650 series, and of course Kawasaki has the Kawasaki ER6N for a budget price of 225,000 Baht.

The ER6N parallel-twin 649cc Kawasaki engine is a perfect powerplant for touring in the region.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: David ()  Monday, 15 June 2009 @ 09:23 PM ICT  

Thanks for that reply, appreciated.

The Kwaka KLX450R might just be the thing for me, so I'll wait a while.

By: Anonymous: David ()  Wednesday, 17 June 2009 @ 11:36 PM ICT  

And if I can't wait for the 450 from Kawa, are there other manufacturers who sell a KLR650 type bike here in Thailand?

I can't afford the BMW650s!

Thank you

By: news (offline)  Thursday, 18 June 2009 @ 04:41 AM ICT  

The only affordable 650cc motorcycle in the lower price range is the Kawasaki ER6N, which is not an enduro motorcycle, costs 225,000 Baht (New Showroom).

For a real enduro alternative you need accept a 250cc or you need to look at the grey motorcycle market. As you probably knows Kawasaki sells the KLX250 in Thailand for just under 150,000 Baht.

Red Baron Bangkok has currently a 2002 Honda XR250 for 185,000 Baht and a 2004 Suzuki DRZ400S for 245,000 Baht.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: David ()  Thursday, 18 June 2009 @ 04:13 PM ICT  

Yes, I have the D-Tracker and am ok with that.
The ER6N doesn't fit the bill as an all-rounder.
What a pity about the KLR650.
There sure is a large gap in the Thai market isn't there?
I know lots of guys looking for a medium size trail bike such as the KLR.
Thanks for your responses.

By: Richard (offline)  Thursday, 18 June 2009 @ 05:51 PM ICT  

I have a Honda CRF450, 450cc is a perfect engine size, and it is a bit too powerful in the dirt. Especially, too powerful, in the wet season I have to be so careful with the throttle otherwise the rear wheel is just spinning in the clay-like-mud and I fitted full off-road tires, which makes it even worse as the clay-like-mud sticks in the tire and clay-like-mud on clay-like-mud is like ice. Neutral

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Anonymous: Mick ()  Tuesday, 23 June 2009 @ 06:21 PM ICT  

This is a Thai site...look like some decent big bikes for sale from the factory...save a lot of green book hassles:

www.kawasakibigbike.com/productlineup_09.html

By: Anonymous: Lee ()  Tuesday, 23 June 2009 @ 06:26 PM ICT  

The only problem with Kawasaki Thailand is, they not sell the Kawasaki KLR650. The Kawasaki parallel twin ER6N would be a good alternative, but the OP wants a pure enduro motorcycle.

9 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association