By: news (offline)  Monday, 02 September 2013 @ 11:46 AM ICT (Read 3458 times)  

The 2014 Yamaha Bolt has been recalled to repair a slack in the wiring harness that could come in contact with the exhaust manifold. The heat from the exhaust could cause the damage to the wiring, resulting in the motorcycle malfunctioning.

This likely will mean that we have some delay in the launch of the Yamaha XVS950CU “Bolt” in Thailand.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: David ()  Monday, 02 September 2013 @ 09:53 PM ICT  

Another 'recall'.

This seems to be becoming an increasingly frequent measure by many new bike and care manufactures.

On one hand I guess it's best to 'recall' once a fault is discovered.

On the other hand, one would expect that, with modern technology and processes and testing, faults should not be found in a new product.

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Monday, 02 September 2013 @ 11:00 PM ICT  

I can understand the problem of modern motorcycle designers, they work for 90% behind a computer screen and not many have a mechanical or hands-on technical background. So the radiating heat from a exhaust pipe is something they have maybe some problems imagining.

Still it's a good thing that manufacturers recall products directly when a potential problem is discovered.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: David ()  Tuesday, 03 September 2013 @ 05:50 PM ICT  

"So the radiating heat from a exhaust pipe is something they have maybe some problems imagining."

Maybe, but my 6 year old knows about that!

By: Matty (offline)  Thursday, 05 September 2013 @ 05:52 PM ICT  

I totally agree, its very poor on the part of the manufacturers, Surely they thoroughly test the pre-production models, and then test the production models before they release them to the dealers, or are they desperate to get them out there and rake in the profits ?

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: news (offline)  Thursday, 05 September 2013 @ 06:24 PM ICT  

Quote by: Matty

I totally agree, its very poor on the part of the manufacturers, Surely they thoroughly test the pre-production models, and then test the production models before they release them to the dealers, or are they desperate to get them out there and rake in the profits ?

Critics to what you're saying will probably tell you that they tested the motorcycle in Japan a few months back, which was pretty cold....

Globalization is a big thing, now-a-day designers and motorcycle engineers have think about thousands of things just to keep up with worldwide regulations, a little cable that possible could get burned is not that big of a problem... so your lights turn of or your motorcycles shorts out and you cannot ride anymore... still you not die...

I have been informed about brakes recalls and frame recalls all about motorcycles made in Thailand...

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Matty (offline)  Saturday, 07 September 2013 @ 11:09 AM ICT  

You cant be serious, surely.
You might not die or get seriously hurt if your lights go out (because of a design or manufacturing fault ) when you are going to the local 7/11 store or heading down to the shops in Bangkok or other towns, even at night as there is quite a lot of background light from street lights and shop lights as well as lights from other traffic and u can follow along with them.
Try riding at highway speeds in the countryside where there is no street lights, forest up to the edge of the road and no body to follow and mingle with. The danger is not you the rider, its other road users who cant see you and will pull out in front of you, cross the intersection and hit you because they cant see you, overtake slower vehicles heading your way and cause head on collisions. etc. etc. etc.

And what about faults other than lights??? Brakes, Engine cutting out, Steering, Sticking throttle etc etc etc,,, any of these can cause a fatality (death) if luck is not on your side. Not so much as crashing the bike, but more likely to have an accident with another vehicle.
There is no excuse for poor motorcycle design or construction,
THESE MANUFACTURERS HAVE BEEN BUILDING MOTORBIKES FOR MANY MANY YEARS, They are cutting costs too much if they don't fully test their new or updated models under real world conditions They also have a Duty Of Care to supply purchasers with safe vehicles. One day someone or many people will get seriously injured and there will be a Law Suit involved.

Anyway enough from me,, I just think its poor management to have so many re-calls.

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 07 September 2013 @ 01:37 PM ICT  

I agree that every design failure, or production problem is one to many.

Still Yamaha, globally, is a manufacturer with one of the lowest re-calls with motorcycles.

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Max (offline)  Saturday, 07 September 2013 @ 04:56 PM ICT  

It's not just motorcycles that have these recalls. When I went to England to attend university I bought a Honda Jazz and that had recalls for foot brake, handbrake, electric windows and power steering. I think manufacturers are guilty of releasing bikes and cars to the market before all faults have had a chance to be ironed out.

Max

Group Comfort
Level:

9 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association