By: Anonymous: Arguz ()  Saturday, 03 August 2013 @ 05:42 PM ICT (Read 2796 times)  

Hi

I recently bought a Honda CRF 250L in Prachuap and I like the bike a lot. According to the owners manual I must use a drive chain lubricant designed specifically for O-rings chains.

Now the problem is that I just cant find this lubricant at the dealers around where I live. Does anybody know where to buy this kind of lubricant? Maybe in Hua Hin, its 100 km from where I live, but thats no problem for me.

Grateful for Your help....

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Saturday, 03 August 2013 @ 09:40 PM ICT  

In truth the manufacturers specification for drive chain care can be more ignored than then specifications they tell about engine oil for example. The final drive chain of the Honda CRF250L is from DID and I would recommend you use the care specification recommend by the original manufacturer.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Thursday, 29 August 2013 @ 02:03 PM ICT  

Honda says use regular gear oil.

Wasp Competition (wasp-competition.com/) jcosta4pcxthailand(at)gmail.com has some of these manual oilers.

Click on image to open

Use 10-40 car oil or ATF.

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: Matty (offline)  Thursday, 29 August 2013 @ 04:46 PM ICT  

I would not recommend using gear or engine oil, This oil is too thin (runny) and will drip off your chain and also fling off at speed covering your rear rim, leg and possibly even get on your rear brake rotor. ( its even more thin in hot climates like Thailand )
Chain lube is more sticky and designed to lubricate the chain and resist flying off all over your nice clean bike and legs.
Almost all of the reputable brands of chain lubes ( they usually come in a spray can ) can be used on o-ring chains as most bikes over 250cc come standard with them. Also O-rings are made of Oil resistant rubber and have been used in motors , gearboxes and industrial equipment all over the world for many years.

So don't worry about o-ring chain specific lube, just use any good brand of chain lube.
Hope this helps.
Matty.

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Thursday, 29 August 2013 @ 05:19 PM ICT  

Use what you want Matty. If the chain feels wet it has enough it doesn't need to drip or get flung anywhere. How much one applies makes a huge difference. If there is a way to regulate the application but using a metering device them there is no excess and no need for fancy chain specific lubricant. Spraying with an aerosol is difficult to know when there is enough or too much?

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association