By: kimlevin (offline)  Tuesday, 25 June 2013 @ 11:12 AM ICT (Read 3710 times)  

Hi there everyone!

I'm from Malaysia and in the end of this year I plan to stay at Hatyai for a long period of time.

So I wish to get a motorcycle license to travel around Thailand.

Can I know about the details and process of getting one? Like the cost of it and where to get it.

FYI, I already have a Full B license (In Malaysia) which can ride any bikes with more than 1000cc.

kimlevin

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4

By: Anonymous: Chaidee ()  Tuesday, 25 June 2013 @ 12:28 PM ICT  

It depends a little bit on which Department of Land Transport you go to, but most DLT's want that the applicant hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can officially not apply).

You also need:

• If you can not read and / nor understand the Thai language, you are allowed to bring a interpreter to fill the forms and translate the possible instruction class and tests.
  • Valid Passport with Valid Non-immigrant Visa
  • A certified letter of address from the applicant's embassy, or from the Immigration Bureau (document can not be older than 30 days).
  • Tip: The letter from the embassy is the fastest option, but the immigration office will provide this service for free. However, it will take them 3-6 weeks to complete and an officer from your local police station will visit your place of residence for verification.
  • If you are working in Thailand: the blue workbook, better known as your work permit, can replace either of these documents and serve as address verification!
  • A doctor's certificate stating that the applicant is in good health, both physically and mentally (standard forms are available from most clinics and should not be more than 30 days old)
  • 2 photos, 1 x 1 inch and not older than 6 months (photo service is available on the premises).
  • Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving licence from the applicant's home country, certified by Embassy or consulate. (if available).
  • Note that 1 set of these documents is required per licence applications. However, when applying for both a car and a motorcycle license, an extra copy of the doctor's certificate and the letter of address will suffice for the second application.

By: kimlevin (offline)  Tuesday, 25 June 2013 @ 02:27 PM ICT  

Quote by: Chaidee

It depends a little bit on which Department of Land Transport you go to, but most DLT's want that the applicant hold a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can officially not apply).

You also need:

* If you can not read and / nor understand the Thai language, you are allowed to bring a interpreter to fill the forms and translate the possible instruction class and tests.
* Valid Passport with Valid Non-immigrant Visa
* Signed copies of the passport's first page, the page with the current non-immigrant visa, the page with the last entry stamp and the TM-card.
* A certified letter of address from the applicant's embassy, or from the Immigration Bureau (document can not be older than 30 days).
* Tip: The letter from the embassy is the fastest option, but the immigration office will provide this service for free. However, it will take them 3-6 weeks to complete and an officer from your local police station will visit your place of residence for verification.
* If you are working in Thailand: the blue workbook, better known as your work permit, can replace either of these documents and serve as address verification!
* A doctor's certificate stating that the applicant is in good health, both physically and mentally (standard forms are available from most clinics and should not be more than 30 days old)
* 2 photos, 1 x 1 inch and not older than 6 months (photo service is available on the premises).
* Valid international driver's license plus signed photocopy or translated regular driving licence from the applicant's home country, certified by Embassy or consulate. (if available).
* Note that 1 set of these documents is required per licence applications. However, when applying for both a car and a motorcycle license, an extra copy of the doctor's certificate and the letter of address will suffice for the second application.

Thanks very much for your guidance!
Appreciate that!

But what do you mean by "depends on which Department of Land Transport you go"? Meaning that if I go to different department for this issue, I may or may not need to apply?

So conclusion should tourist need to apply?
Thanks very much for the advice.

kimlevin

Group Comfort
Level:

By: news (offline)  Tuesday, 25 June 2013 @ 02:47 PM ICT  

The official answer is that you can ride/drive a vehicle in Thailand with a valid international drivers license for 6 months. After 6-months you should apply for a Thai license, which is not that hard if you have an international drivers license...

But if you Malaysian and have a valid Malay drivers license it is possible that you not need any additional papers. One time I traveled to Laos and my Thai drivers license was valid, and what I think I understand was that it had something to do with ASEAN... (check it with the Thai embassy before you embark on your journey).

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Chaidee ()  Tuesday, 25 June 2013 @ 05:06 PM ICT  

Quote by: kimlevin

Thanks very much for your guidance!
Appreciate that!

But what do you mean by "depends on which Department of Land Transport you go"? Meaning that if I go to different department for this issue, I may or may not need to apply?

So conclusion should tourist need to apply?
Thanks very much for the advice.

I means that not all Department of Land Transport offices interpret the rules the same, some accept tourist visa's and others offices will not allow you to do the exam.

By: fred (offline)  Tuesday, 25 June 2013 @ 07:02 PM ICT  

I means that not all Department of Land Transport offices interpret the rules the same, some accept tourist visa's and others offices will not allow you to do the exam.

I finally got my license 3 weeks ago in Bangkok, and I have a tourist visa.
I got it because I was able to get a "Residence Certificate" from my embassy, since I live in Thailand for many years.
I believe the most important document is the Residence Certificate, and most embassies wont give this certificate if you are on Tourist visa.
I had to show many documents to my embassy, such as bills in my name, and my condo contract to get the document.

I highly recommend getting the Thai Driving license if you can, and even better, get both for Car and Motorcycle at one shot, since the computer exam and video lectures are exactly the same. In fact, it's all about car, you learn absolutely nothing about motorcycle driving rules.

fred

Group Comfort
Level:
: +5

By: kimlevin (offline)  Wednesday, 26 June 2013 @ 10:57 AM ICT  

Thanks everyone for your opinion and advice. Really appreciate that!

That info would really helpful when I'm staying at Thailand.

Thanks guys!

kimlevin

Group Comfort
Level:

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association