By: Anonymous: Thew ()  Friday, 29 March 2013 @ 11:05 AM ICT (Read 4211 times)  

I have not so long ago picked up my Honda CBR500R bike, and I am very happy with it.

But the problem is that I find it sometimes difficult to start the motorcycle, while for example my girlfriend or even my neighbor has no problems starting the motorcycle.

Even the mechanic at my local motorbike garage has no clue, and I visited Honda HQ and they looked and smiled and could not find anything. And they looked very very seriously, I know for a fact.

By: news (offline)  Friday, 29 March 2013 @ 02:16 PM ICT  

It's always difficult to help anybody with problems like this without actually seeing the motorcycle. But what I understand is that Honda BigWing mechanics have looked at your motorcycle and could not find the problem.

First to understand the Honda CBR500R you need to understand that the ignition key contains a special coded chip that is recognized by the Honda Immobilizer Security System (HISS) in order to start the engine.

Therefore your motorcycle can be in 100% working order, but if your key is damaged, for instance we where told that long and intense sunlight and high temperatures can damage the key. The key function can also be influenced by a magnetic field (for example a little magnet on your key chain...).

If you look at your dashboard when you try to start the motorcycle you see in between the high beam indicator and the ABS light a HISS indicator light. This HISS light should normally only light up when you turn the ignition. If the HISS indicator light stays on but your PGM-FI light goes works normally, you have a problem with your key... likely the key is damaged...

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Scotty ()  Friday, 29 March 2013 @ 02:22 PM ICT  

In the UK some owners had problems with HISS in the early days because of metallic like dealer stickers on the keys. This stickers prevented communication between key and bike.

By: Anonymous: Thew ()  Friday, 29 March 2013 @ 02:56 PM ICT  

The problem is not the key, when I try to start the motorcycle it does go and the HISS light stays on, when I take the key out the HISS light keeps flashing ever few seconds... If I walk to my girlfriend and she walks to the motorcycle she can start it on first try. Her magic only fails when I sit on the motorcycle.

I seriously start to think that this motorcycle does not like me!!!!!!!

The key has no stickers

By: news (offline)  Friday, 29 March 2013 @ 03:34 PM ICT  

Yes it looks like magic, but probably its not. Do you have any other Honda motorcycle keys in your pocket? If you have a HISS key from another or even the same motorcycle in your pocket and the sensor detects this it will fail to start.

Other than what they tell you at Honda BigWing, the HISS is always on, at least 24 hours after last attempt to start it, so when you approach the motorcycle the system already starts scanning for a key code... Only when you enter the key in the ignition the system will tell you it accepts or refuse the key code...

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Thew ()  Friday, 29 March 2013 @ 04:01 PM ICT  

Wow, I keep a spare key in my wallet as I sometimes forget my keys in the office. And if I clock out I cannot get easily inside the office again. Therefore the spare key in my wallet.

The bike starts without problems without taking my wallet, amazing that nobody could tell me that before @#@

By: Ellbeetee (offline)  Friday, 05 April 2013 @ 12:09 PM ICT  

Aint' technology wonderful? A good story with a happy ending. Nice to have some experienced people on board willing to share.

Ellbeetee

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association