12 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Anonymous: Cartier ()  Wednesday, 13 March 2013 @ 08:19 AM ICT (Read 9504 times)  

I have one of the earlier models of the Honda Wave 125i and according to my dealer, one of the crankshaft bearings failed and messed up the engine. The dealer said that he can fix it and the problem is not that uncommon.

Anybody else have experienced problems with one of the crankshaft bearings of a Honda Wave 125i?

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 13 March 2013 @ 08:41 AM ICT  

Yes, I know of the problem with the crankshaft bearings. Well the problem is not so common, but it's one of the weak points in the otherwise indestructible engine. The problem is the 24.68mm needle bearings that are mounted to support the crankshaft.

Under some conditions, especially when you try to modify the engine for more performance the needle bearing can fail. Most models plagued with this are the KFL models (also called Version 3).

Honda “fixed” the problem with the KVB model (also called Version 4), which uses 26.77mm needle bearings, of course by using bigger bearings the crankshaft and a few other parts changed.

With the latest Honda Wave 125i Honda also changed the camshaft chain guide, what was previous a nylon strip style camshaft chain guide is now a hard plastic wheel type camshaft guide... additional the old style nylon-strip type camshaft chain tensioner is also replaced by a wheel-type camshaft tensioner... This eliminates the sometimes strange 'metallic' slapping sounds from the cylinder head...

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Richard (offline)  Thursday, 14 March 2013 @ 07:57 AM ICT  

I have composed some pictures which show clearly the differences between the Honda Wave125i KFL model and the Honda Wave125i KVB model.

Click on image to openClick on image to open

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Fritten-Robert (offline)  Monday, 07 July 2014 @ 05:11 PM ICT  

Hello from Germany,

I have got the Honda Wave 125i, Serial-Number MLHJC37A8A5106824 with the old crankshaft-version so called KFL. I would like to change to the better KVB-Version in case of a breakdown. Does it fit? Which parts has also to be changed?

Background: in our internet-forum (www.honda-innova.de) we had a lot of breakdowns because of the rod-bearing. I had one of the earliest breakdowns at around 20.000km and changed the so called con-rod-kit.

In Europe you cannot buy the better KVB-Version. Honda doesn´t sell this Version of the Wave here so they do not distribute parts for this Version of the bike.

I hope for a reanswer. It would be very helpful.

Greetings
Robert

Fritten-Robert

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Monday, 07 July 2014 @ 05:44 PM ICT  

Hello Robert,

It's probably to complex and to much parts needed to turn a Honda 125i KFL engine into a 125i KVB engine. Most serious mechanics that have faced this problem did simply replaced the standard Honda 24.68mm needle roller bearing with bearings that have the same size but are of higher quality and higher strength rating.

For instants a ceramic needle roller bearing would be perfect they're several times stronger than a steel bearing, much less friction and high temperatures has no effect on them, the only downside is that they probably not easy to find...

But even if you will use regular needle roller bearings you can find bearings that are rated much higher than the standard bearings that Honda is using...

Replacing the bearings with the best of the best bearings you can find will cost you about 40 Euro, maybe twice that amount if you can find ceramic bearings...

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: Fritten-Robert ()  Wednesday, 16 July 2014 @ 02:42 PM ICT  

Hello,

a better needle bearing may solve this Problem. But the size is not a standard-size.

I am still interested to Change the KFL-engine into a KVB-Version. Maybe someone here could tell whats to do?

Other question: how much is such a brandnew KFL-engine in Thailand and were can I order it? In Germany you can´t buy a complete Honda engine, just parts.

Greetings
Robert

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 16 July 2014 @ 03:59 PM ICT  

Quote by: Fritten-Robert

Hello,

a better needle bearing may solve this Problem. But the size is not a standard-size.

I am still interested to Change the KFL-engine into a KVB-Version. Maybe someone here could tell whats to do?

Other question: how much is such a brandnew KFL-engine in Thailand and were can I order it? In Germany you can´t buy a complete Honda engine, just parts.

Greetings
Robert

Hello Robert,

Changing a Honda KFL engine into a Honda KVB engine is not recommended, it's a better option to just buy a secondhand / refurbished engine. The problem is that the crankshaft of the KVB is thicker and therefore almost everything has to be replaced.

We know of one company who refurbish Honda engines and sells / exports them, the company is called Asian Concept Co., Ltd. And you can contact them by email or by Skype.

EMAIL: info@asianconceptthai.com

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Friday, 18 July 2014 @ 02:18 PM ICT  

Just a thought. Isn't a Honda Grom (MSX) the same engine as a Wave 125i? Grom's are popular in Europe maybe there is some accident damaged ones already from which you could buy a used engine?

Sadly in Europe it is going to be the labour that is expensive not the parts.

My only experience is with 100cc Wave. In Indonesia they are called Supra. Mine there had the wheel timing chain tensioner shown.

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: news (offline)  Friday, 18 July 2014 @ 07:58 PM ICT  

Quote by: Flying Squirrel

Just a thought. Isn't a Honda Grom (MSX) the same engine as a Wave 125i? Grom's are popular in Europe maybe there is some accident damaged ones already from which you could buy a used engine?

Sadly in Europe it is going to be the labour that is expensive not the parts.

My only experience is with 100cc Wave. In Indonesia they are called Supra. Mine there had the wheel timing chain tensioner shown.

That is a great idea, basically the Honda MSX125 is as I believe a Honda 125 KVB engine. The Honda Grom is called the Honda MSX125 in Germany what is the same as Thailand.

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Saturday, 19 July 2014 @ 10:27 AM ICT  

Here are a couple of European forums

msx-125.de/forum

http://www.gromforum.com/

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 19 July 2014 @ 09:07 PM ICT  

With the contacts we have in Europe, we checked some prices and it would probably be cheaper to personally import/source motorcycle parts from Thailand.

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Fritten-Robert (offline)  Thursday, 07 August 2014 @ 11:04 PM ICT  

Quote by: news

With the contacts we have in Europe, we checked some prices and it would probably be cheaper to personally import/source motorcycle parts from Thailand.

Hello,

why not. Some of "us" (Phorum www.honda-innova.de) bought parts via Internet or during their holidays in Thailand. Especially we are interested in original Honda parts.

Interesting to read the Information about die KVB-engine in a MSX.

Greetings
Robert

Fritten-Robert

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

12 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association