By: Anonymous: Martin ()  Friday, 02 November 2012 @ 01:17 PM ICT (Read 7895 times)  

Anyone knows how to un-install the speed limiter on the PCX ? what would be the top speed without the limiter?

By: news (offline)  Friday, 02 November 2012 @ 01:37 PM ICT  

The Honda PCX150 has no speed limiter, it's very possible that the ECU is programmed to limit the speed of the scooter, but if that's the case you will need to reprogram or replace the ECU.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Friday, 02 November 2012 @ 05:47 PM ICT  

Related but maybe considered off topic.

There has been "many" posts on PCX forums about the "limiter' on the 125. Thailand 125 PCX's can get at least 116 indicated kph, some 122 kph whereas US versions albeit with US riders seems to peg out at around 62 -65 mph. EU ones are more like the Thai ones.

If you put a PCX on the stand and rev the engine, the speedo will go way past the so called rev limit.

My understand from long ago is that the original PX125 was HP limited in other words the ECU does a calculation and limits the amount of fuel at approaching peak HP. It is quite sophisticated and is not simply a rev limiter as the engine does not stutter at max speed, it simply doesn't go any faster.

It is true that the old 125 had a hexagonal shaped variator, or in other words had "stops" in the variator, to limit the belt travel so the new J Costa variator will, as it did with the 125, cure that problem. The Honda PCX 125i, Could use a bit more Get-Up-and-Go To check. If you take the variator cover off your 150 and look at the front variator pulley you may see that the belt never goes quite all the way to the periphery of the pulley. There will be an unused ring about 1/8" wide.

The addition of a fly-screen may yield a few more Kph as they do on the old Vespas or you can tuck down behind the speedo like a nighttime street racer.

Edit: I have heard of PCX's using CBR 150 throttle bodies but cannot confirm it is a straight swap.

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: news (offline)  Friday, 02 November 2012 @ 05:55 PM ICT  

Quote by: Flying Squirrel

There has been "many" posts on PCX forums about the "limiter' on the 125. Thailand 125 PCX's can get at least 116 indicated kph, some 122 kph whereas US versions albeit with US riders seems to peg out at around 62 -65 mph. EU ones are more like the Thai ones.

If you put a PCX on the stand and rev the engine, the speedo will go way past the so called rev limit.

My understand from long ago is that the original PX125 was HP limited in other words the ECU does a calculation and limits the amount of fuel at approaching peak HP. It is quite sophisticated and is not simply a rev limiter as the engine does not stutter at max speed, it simply doesn't go any faster.

It is true that the old 125 had a hexagonal shaped variator, or in other words had "stops" in the variator, to limit the belt travel so the new J Costa variator will, as it did with the 125, cure that problem. The Honda PCX 125i, Could use a bit more Get-Up-and-Go To check. If you take the variator cover off your 150 and look at the front variator pulley you may see that the belt never goes quite all the way to the periphery of the pulley. There will be an unused ring about 1/8" wide.

The addition of a fly-screen may yield a few more Kph as they do on the old Vespas or you can tuck down behind the speedo like a nighttime street racer.

Edit: I have heard of PCX's using CBR 150 throttle bodies but cannot confirm it is a straight swap.

@Flying Squirrel – Do you know anything more about when the J.Costa Variator for the Honda PCX150 is available?

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Friday, 02 November 2012 @ 06:20 PM ICT  

Quote by: news

Quote by: Flying Squirrel

It is true that the old 125 had a hexagonal shaped variator, or in other words had "stops" in the variator, to limit the belt travel so the new J Costa variator will, as it did with the 125, cure that problem. The Honda PCX 125i, Could use a bit more Get-Up-and-GoTo check. If you take the variator cover off your 150 and look at the front variator pulley you may see that the belt never goes quite all the way to the periphery of the pulley. There will be an unused ring about 1/8" wide.

@Flying Squirrel – Do you know anything more about when the J.Costa Variator for the Honda PCX150 is available?

Last time I asked it was "coming". I think the development is done, it is just the tooling and production of the first 300 we have to wait for. As you know I am still waiting also for a Vision/Spacy sample unit to try on the Zoomer. They are Spanish so there is a bit of Manjana involved and EICMA Milan is now almost upon us so maybe they will show it there?

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Wednesday, 06 November 2013 @ 03:51 PM ICT  

Quote by: news

@Flying Squirrel – Do you know anything more about when the J.Costa Variator for the Honda PCX150 is available?[/p]

Better late than never.Embarrased Have them in stock now. Also for Zoomer-X/Scoopy/Spacy

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association