29 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: Phineas (offline)  Monday, 27 August 2012 @ 04:37 PM ICT (Read 16625 times)  

Any news on when the Enfields will be available in Bangkok??? Still waiting.......

Phineas

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: news (offline)  Tuesday, 28 August 2012 @ 10:30 AM ICT  

Quote by: Phineas

Any news on when the Enfields will be available in Bangkok??? Still waiting.......

The Royal Enfield Distributor for Thailand is located at

1768 Bangna-trad Road,
Bangna,
Bangkok - 10260.
Telephone: 02-361-3782
Mobile: 08-9813-3277
Contact Person: Mr. Niranchai Tripati (Nick)

The following models are planned for Thailand;

Royal Enfield Classic 500,
Royal Enfield Classic 350,
Royal Enfield Thunderbird Twinspark,
Royal Enfield Electra Twinspark,
Royal Enfield Bullet 350.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 29 August 2012 @ 05:33 PM ICT  

The official Royal Enfield distributor for Thailand has the Royal Enfield Classic 500 on stock for 280,000 THB

Mr. Nick Tripati is currently out of the country, but when he comes back communication will go much easier... If you want to know any detail.. let us know

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Phineas (offline)  Wednesday, 29 August 2012 @ 08:14 PM ICT  

Good to hear the 500 is available but the price seems higher than announced in Feb at Bangkok Bike Fest. Is this the new fixed price? And do you know if any of the 350 models are available yet, and if so, prices? Thanks

Phineas

Group Comfort
Level:

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 29 August 2012 @ 08:48 PM ICT  

Quote by: Phineas

Good to hear the 500 is available but the price seems higher than announced in Feb at Bangkok Bike Fest. Is this the new fixed price? And do you know if any of the 350 models are available yet, and if so, prices? Thanks

Sorry, the person at Royal-enfield Thailand we normally talk to is as I said before out of the country, he comes back Friday afternoon. So maybe Friday otherwise Saturday I can answer all questions.

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: David ()  Thursday, 30 August 2012 @ 01:09 PM ICT  

Very ownable!

How much?

This post was originally posted as a comment for article The Royal Enfield Classic 500 EFI - Perfect Experience

By: Big Guy (offline)  Friday, 31 August 2012 @ 08:00 AM ICT  

Yes, the price is higher than was anticipated by about 30%. I wonder what happened to make it that much higher than the distributors were talking about at the show earlier this year?

That aside, let's assume that the current price of 280,000 baht is correct. That presents me with an interesting dilemma: do I purchase a Royal Enfield or a Kawasaki Versys?

Before you tell me that they are totally different bikes designed for different purposes, and that one is a classic and one is a modern marvel of Japanese engineering and that they are so far apart on the spectrum that I sound like I don't know what I want; hear me out.

Prior to the announcement over a year ago that the Royal Enfield might be coming to Thailand, I had my eye on a Versys. For the money in Thailand there is nothing else out there that excited my interest like the Versys. As my name says, I'm a Big Guy, both in height and weight. I enjoy three and four hour rides on my current bike, a Honda PCX125, but I wanted a more serious machine that would satisfy both the long range cruising urge and the quick trip downtown.

Reliability, service and repairs aren't an issue with any Japanese bike in Thailand. You want a Ducatti, Harley or BMW in Thailand and you know that you might have some service and parts issues out in the boonies, but not with a Japanese bike.

So I was eagerly looking forward to spending about US$9k to put a Versys on the road.

Then Royal Enfield caught my eye for the history, styling and shear fun of owning an old classic piece of antiquity, albeit with a new injected engine and updated brakes and electrical system.

But that was at a price about 25 to 30 percent lower than the Versys.

I'd love to have both sitting in the driveway, but I'm unwilling to have that much tied up in bikes.

Now that the bikes are in the same price class, it impacts my decision because it is not just about which bike fulfills my desires: it is also about price, reliability and service issues, and I believe that the Royal Enfield comes with some liabilities in the reliability and service areas. The lower price made up for these shortcomings, but now that the Classic 500 and the Versys are in the same price range?

My decision isn't so simple anymore.

Big Guy

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: David ()  Friday, 31 August 2012 @ 11:25 AM ICT  

It would be interesting to know why the price has risen so much.
Hope it's more than greed; they saw the interest in the bike so upped the price perhaps.

By: news (offline)  Friday, 31 August 2012 @ 11:27 AM ICT  

Quote by: Big Guy

Yes, the price is higher than was anticipated by about 30%. I wonder what happened to make it that much higher than the distributors were talking about at the show earlier this year?

That aside, let's assume that the current price of 280,000 baht is correct. That presents me with an interesting dilemma: do I purchase a Royal Enfield or a Kawasaki Versys?

Before you tell me that they are totally different bikes designed for different purposes, and that one is a classic and one is a modern marvel of Japanese engineering and that they are so far apart on the spectrum that I sound like I don't know what I want; hear me out.

Prior to the announcement over a year ago that the Royal Enfield might be coming to Thailand, I had my eye on a Versys. For the money in Thailand there is nothing else out there that excited my interest like the Versys. As my name says, I'm a Big Guy, both in height and weight. I enjoy three and four hour rides on my current bike, a Honda PCX125, but I wanted a more serious machine that would satisfy both the long range cruising urge and the quick trip downtown.

Reliability, service and repairs aren't an issue with any Japanese bike in Thailand. You want a Ducatti, Harley or BMW in Thailand and you know that you might have some service and parts issues out in the boonies, but not with a Japanese bike.

So I was eagerly looking forward to spending about US$9k to put a Versys on the road.

Then Royal Enfield caught my eye for the history, styling and shear fun of owning an old classic piece of antiquity, albeit with a new injected engine and updated brakes and electrical system.

But that was at a price about 25 to 30 percent lower than the Versys.

I'd love to have both sitting in the driveway, but I'm unwilling to have that much tied up in bikes.

Now that the bikes are in the same price class, it impacts my decision because it is not just about which bike fulfills my desires: it is also about price, reliability and service issues, and I believe that the Royal Enfield comes with some liabilities in the reliability and service areas. The lower price made up for these shortcomings, but now that the Classic 500 and the Versys are in the same price range?

He Big Guy,

I'm actually a big fan of the Royal Enfield Classic 500, I have a Royal Enfield motorcycle since 2008 (grey imported) and it's basically a substitute to my desire to have a classic bike like a BSA (which will cost a fortune).

In the real world, the Royal Enfield Classic 500 is a perfect motorcycle if you a daily commute to work, to translate the idea of my wife – the Classic 500 is an expensive replacement for a Honda Wave.... Of course I not fully agree with her, but she has some good points... Top speed Honda Wave vs R-E Classic 500 is about the same, fuel consumption Wave vs Classic 500 is about the same, and overall riding comfort is about the same... (The Honda Wave maybe takes some extra points if it comes to shopping).

If you compare a Kawasaki Versys 650 to a Honda Wave or Royal Enfield Classic 500 you get a complete other story, with the Kawasaki Versys 650 you can do two-up touring of the country. You can do some adventure touring... etc etc...

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: news (offline)  Friday, 31 August 2012 @ 11:39 AM ICT  

Quote by: David

It would be interesting to know why the price has risen so much.
Hope it's more than greed; they saw the interest in the bike so upped the price perhaps.

Official the Thai distributor, and Royal Enfield India, had the idea that the European version of the motorcycles would pass the Thai emission standard.... but bad luck... after several times trying, the Enfield fail to pass the very strict Thai emission standard (proofs again how difficult it's to get a bike approved in Thailand).

The EFI for the Thai version of the Royal Enfield has a “special” fuel injection system, which was developed in cooperation with Honda/Keihin Thailand R&D... As you probably know everything with the word “EXTRA” means it costs more... still the fueling of the Royal Enfield Classic 500 words fantastic... and I bet (not with money) that it's even more fuel efficient than the one they sell in Europe...

P.S. The several failures to pass the very strict Thai emission testing also resulted in the delay in the Royal Enfield motorcycles being available in Thailand.

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: Tony ()  Friday, 31 August 2012 @ 11:53 AM ICT  

[/p]

Welcome to Thailand the country where any decision isn't that simple...

By: Anonymous: Somchai Smith ()  Friday, 31 August 2012 @ 07:00 PM ICT  

I believe the price is so high at the moment because at the moment complete bikes are being imported from India and are therefore subject to the high import duty for luxury goods. Originally the bikes were supposed to arrive in CKD form and be assembled byTiger Motors, thereby avoiding the higher tax. The prices were going to be approx 130,000 bht for the 350 and 180,000 bht for the 500. If the importer and Tiger Motors can resurrect the planned arrangement we can expect to see the bikes marketed at the lower prices. Price in India for the 350 is 48350 baht and the 500 is 70000 baht, both plus on road charges. So you can see the huge taxes the Thai goverment is loading on these bikes.

By: Phineas (offline)  Friday, 31 August 2012 @ 07:04 PM ICT  

Now I am really confused. In February RE's imported from India were available for sale in Thailand - but at a high price. So presumably at this point they had passed the Thai emissions standards

At this time we were told that once they were assembled in Thailand the price would be more reasonable - 145K for the 350s and around 200K for the 500s.

So how can the price have increased so much? If it is due to the emissions standards - then how come the models imported from India could be sold and registered here? I hope there has been some mistake and the prices will be in line with what we were told a few months ago

Phineas

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: Haley ()  Friday, 31 August 2012 @ 11:04 PM ICT  

I like some "proof" of the “special” fuel injection system before I buy.....could very well be another scam-excuse to hike-up prices. TIT

By: Anonymous: Fred ()  Monday, 03 September 2012 @ 11:18 AM ICT  

This is not about the Royal Enfield but about EFI (related to the topic).

Kawasaki build a bike which has international approval, yet isn't available here in Thailand because, we are told, 'it is too dirty and can't pass the strict Thai emissions laws'.
If this is the case why can't Kawasaki fit an EFI system to their KLR650 for the local market?
I'm sure the bike would sell well here.

29 posts :: Page 1 of 2
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 174 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association