13 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Gent (offline)  Wednesday, 16 May 2012 @ 11:12 PM ICT (Read 12051 times)  

Hi
I'm a 'newbie' to Motorcycle Thailand.
I live in Koh Samui and recently bought a Honda Phantom TA200 ......Phoenix Edition I think? From the green book it was registered in 2003

The bike was running well when I bought her, but in a sad state of repair.I have now stripped the bike and attempting to make her like new, mostly cleaning ,re polishing and replacing worn parts as i go.
I had quite a lot of experience with bikes in London as a youngster in the 60's and repaired/ restored a few. One of those was a KTT series Velocette and also a couple of Sunbeam 500 shaft drive (sidecar bikes).
My biggest problem here in Thailand is that I cannot get a copy of a 'workshop manual' for the Honda Phantom. I have been to the Honda agent many times for parts and the closest I can get is a quick look at the 'parts catalogue' exploded diagrams to figure out what I need!
I asked if they could photostat a copy of this and was greeted with a very firm NO....I even asked if I could quickly copy a few pages with my happy snap camera.....No.

I seem to feel that the Apollo Space Project had less security!!

So the bottom line is that I am trying to find a copy of the 'workshop manual'. I have stripped the side covers of the engine to re polish and feel that I should replace the clutch plates but have no 'spec' to measure the wear, I would also need torque figures to re assemble.

I have no idea as to the Kilometres the bike has done because the speedo cable was missing, I found a replacement but then discovered that the speedo was completely seized and rusted due to a broken glass (replaced by a piece of plastic).......managed to get a brand new one from Honda....at a price

I tried to keep this short....but it is quite a long project.
Are there any ex CIA, KGB, MOSSAD agents that have managed to acquire a copy of Phantom workshop manual...I am quite happy to buy it

Gent

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: news (offline)  Thursday, 17 May 2012 @ 11:12 AM ICT  

It’s surely looks like that some Honda manuals are top secret. The Honda Phantom TA200 service manual is one of this hard to get manuals. The Honda Phantom TA200 was also sold in Australia as the Honda TA200 Shadow, so an English service manual should exist… but we never able to find one.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: billd766 (offline)  Saturday, 30 June 2012 @ 11:05 AM ICT  

Quote by: Gent

Hi
I'm a 'newbie' to Motorcycle Thailand.
I live in Koh Samui and recently bought a Honda Phantom TA200 ......Phoenix Edition I think? From the green book it was registered in 2003

The bike was running well when I bought her, but in a sad state of repair.I have now stripped the bike and attempting to make her like new, mostly cleaning ,re polishing and replacing worn parts as i go.
I had quite a lot of experience with bikes in London as a youngster in the 60's and repaired/ restored a few. One of those was a KTT series Velocette and also a couple of Sunbeam 500 shaft drive (sidecar bikes).
My biggest problem here in Thailand is that I cannot get a copy of a 'workshop manual' for the Honda Phantom. I have been to the Honda agent many times for parts and the closest I can get is a quick look at the 'parts catalogue' exploded diagrams to figure out what I need!
I asked if they could photostat a copy of this and was greeted with a very firm NO....I even asked if I could quickly copy a few pages with my happy snap camera.....No.

I seem to feel that the Apollo Space Project had less security!!

So the bottom line is that I am trying to find a copy of the 'workshop manual'. I have stripped the side covers of the engine to re polish and feel that I should replace the clutch plates but have no 'spec' to measure the wear, I would also need torque figures to re assemble.

I have no idea as to the Kilometres the bike has done because the speedo cable was missing, I found a replacement but then discovered that the speedo was completely seized and rusted due to a broken glass (replaced by a piece of plastic).......managed to get a brand new one from Honda....at a price

I tried to keep this short....but it is quite a long project.
Are there any ex CIA, KGB, MOSSAD agents that have managed to acquire a copy of Phantom workshop manual...I am quite happy to buy it

If you think that the service manual is hard to get just try to borrow a copy of the parts manual from any Honda agent and tell them you want to take it home overnight, scan it for your own use and bring it back at opening time.

You will have more luck in stealing the Crown Jewels than getting a copy of a manual for a motorbike no longer in production.

What I have managed to do slowly is to go to my local dealer and tell them I am lokking for a couple of items and get them to photocopy a vouple of pages at a time then scan them into my PC.

If anybody needs what I have let me know and I will send what I have.

billd766

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: Maaka ()  Tuesday, 04 February 2014 @ 03:28 AM ICT  

I have on computer the schematics ( not spelt right ) , or the parts diagrams, and also an english version on the Owners repair manual (54pages)....still trying to locate a full Workshop manual that will tell and show how to strip a complete engine, and all the settings.....there is some slight different between models (years ) but still better than Thai language manual...I downloaded, printed and then had made into a book for my workshop.....sappermac@hotmail.com

By: Anonymous: wdwflash ()  Saturday, 03 May 2014 @ 08:05 PM ICT  

I have the extremely rare English version Honda TA200 service/shop manual. 140+ page double sided in plastic sleeves, in binder. PM me, I'm taking offers. This is the "Holy Grail" for the TA200 Phantom. Any shop that works on Phantoms and doesn't have this (99.9% don't) is just working by guess. It took me 2 and a half years to find it and a lots of $$$$. If someone wanted to reproduce it, I have it onCD, but I won't let that go unless I get a spectacular offer as you can make and sell copies from it. Make me an offer I can't refuse. Go try and find one of these.

By: Anonymous: paul ()  Wednesday, 07 May 2014 @ 11:00 AM ICT  

Quote by: wdwflash

I have the extremely rare English version Honda TA200 service/shop manual. 140+ page double sided in plastic sleeves, in binder. PM me, I'm taking offers. This is the "Holy Grail" for the TA200 Phantom. Any shop that works on Phantoms and doesn't have this (99.9% don't) is just working by guess. It took me 2 and a half years to find it and a lots of $$$$. If someone wanted to reproduce it, I have it onCD, but I won't let that go unless I get a spectacular offer as you can make and sell copies from it. Make me an offer I can't refuse. Go try and find one of these.

Hi I am interested in a soft copy of your CD is it possible to sell this over the internet?
Let me know what you can do for me and the pice. paul AT pamala DOT com DOT au I see how I can pay you Paul

By: Anonymous: wdwflash ()  Friday, 23 May 2014 @ 07:11 AM ICT  

I'll sell the hard manual for $150.us and EMS shipping. The CD is a real money maker if someone wants to make unlimited copies. Make me an offer on the CD and its only mailable by postal EMS, no internet. If you don't believe this is hard to find, go find one. BTW/ Its in English. I doubt you will find another Phantom TA-200 manual in English anywhere in Southeast Asia or the world. Any motorcycle shop working on Phantoms without this manual are just a bunch of back-yard mechanics and have no idea what the real specs are for this bike. Do you want a shop to work on your bike when they have no Honda shop/service manual and are doing work by guess? Ask the shop that works on your bike if they have a real Honda TA-200 shop/service manual. I will bet they do not.

By: news (offline)  Friday, 23 May 2014 @ 10:48 AM ICT  

I'm sorry but US$ 150 is just ridiculous for an Honda service manual. You can get an original English language Honda Phantom TA200 service manual for around US$ 59 (plus shipping) from Honda Motorcycles Australia... They call it a Honda Shadow TA200 (but only the name is different everything else is 100% the same).

Anybody interested can contact Honda Motorcycles Australia by telephone +61 3 9270 1348. They normally only supply/sell service manuals to repair or service shops so try to sound professional...

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: wdwflash ()  Friday, 23 May 2014 @ 04:48 PM ICT  

Go ahead and while your at it get me ten. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I had a guy walking into Honda dealers in OZ and the Honda Head Office and no one would talk to him or they looked at him like he was crazy. He also tried all the book stores in OZ that carry auto/motorcycle manuals and nothing. If you can get it, I say go for it, but in my experience of 2 and a half years of searching, no way. If what you say is so, than everyone would have one and specially the guys in OZ and Singapore. I could care less if I sell a copy of the manual, I have mine and that's all that counts, good on you if you find one.

By: Anonymous: ber ()  Wednesday, 01 October 2014 @ 03:35 AM ICT  

try the manual for the tiger 200

By: Anonymous: dorpenheimer ()  Tuesday, 11 November 2014 @ 12:52 PM ICT  

I'll sell the hard manual for $150.us and EMS shipping. The CD is a real money maker if someone wants to make unlimited copies. Make me an offer on the CD and its only mailable by postal EMS, no internet. If you don't believe this is hard to find, go find one. BTW/ Its in English. I doubt you will find another Phantom TA-200 manual in English anywhere in Southeast Asia or the world. Any motorcycle shop working on Phantoms without this manual are just a bunch of back-yard mechanics and have no idea what the real specs are for this bike. Do you want a shop to work on your bike when they have no Honda shop/service manual and are doing work by guess? Ask the shop that works on your bike if they have a real Honda TA-200 shop/service manual. I will bet they do not.

Is it possible for you to upload your copy of the CD onto google drive and then quote me the price for the soft copy? We can work payment out through paypal or something like that.

By: kbartolo1 (offline)  Friday, 14 November 2014 @ 12:14 AM ICT  

Quote by: paul

I can offer you $100 for the manual. Is that ok with you? If yes will you please let me know the shipping costs?

Thank you and regards
Ken

kbartolo1

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: michel ()  Monday, 17 November 2014 @ 08:02 AM ICT  

I have the user manual in English (electronic version)
Send me email michel_bayot at hotm
Cheers

13 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association