By: Anonymous: Harry ()  Wednesday, 21 March 2012 @ 08:31 AM ICT (Read 2419 times)  

I've just fitted a set of race cans to my Yamaha R1. Cash is a bit tight and I don't want to spend any extra on a Power Commander if I can help it. Is it OK to run race cans without altering the fueling, or will I melt my pistons?

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 21 March 2012 @ 10:04 AM ICT  

There's a lot of miss information regarding the use of Dynojet Power Commanders or any other fueling kits and the melted piston rumor goes back to the days of two-strokes, which would do nasty things like melt pistons when not set-up correctly. With a four-stroke you're unlikely to ruin the engine by fitting a set of race cans. Generally you can get away with fitting either a set of cans or a free flowing air filter and the motorcycle's fueling will be fine.

Fit both and the chances are the engine will develop flat spots and not run correctly. As you have just fitted cans you should be fine to run the motorcycle, but to get the best when it comes to performance gains it is always recommended to fit a Dynojet Power Commander, or similar device, and have it custom mapped to set-up. Maybe an idea for birthday present...

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: SD ()  Thursday, 22 March 2012 @ 07:06 PM ICT  

Quote by: Harry

I've just fitted a set of race cans to my Yamaha R1. Cash is a bit tight and I don't want to spend any extra on a Power Commander if I can help it. Is it OK to run race cans without altering the fueling, or will I melt my pistons?

Dirtshop in BKK has the newest Dyno

The charge ~600 Baht for a base run

Tuning cost vary but they are not expensive either

A full Dyno Tune would suffice until you fitted a PCV and AutoTune

Cheers

SD

By: Anonymous: Will ()  Saturday, 24 March 2012 @ 04:58 PM ICT  

I also recommend that you install a Power Commander or a Yoshimura EM Pro your motorbike will run much better

Will

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 24 March 2012 @ 05:19 PM ICT  

Quote by: Will

I also recommend that you install a Power Commander or a Yoshimura EM Pro your motorbike will run much better

Will

Sorry I was not aware that the Yoshimura EM Pro was also available for the Yamaha YZF-R1? What I understand is that the Yoshimura EM Pro is only available for the Suzuki GSX-R family...

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

5 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association