By: Anonymous: CottonCool ()  Wednesday, 22 February 2012 @ 10:20 AM ICT (Read 2724 times)  

My motorcycle started to feel like the steering going a bit wobbly on high speed, sweeping bends. It certainly wasn't like this before and I'd like to sort it before it gets any worse. Someone suggested it was warped discs. Does that sound likely and if so, how should I fix them?

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, 22 February 2012 @ 11:11 AM ICT  

Unfortunately the steering going wobbly could be a number of things. We'd start by starting tires; incorrect pressure, unusual wear patterns signs of squaring-off can very often cause steering defects or changes in feel. Various bearings could be the culprit too. It could be wheel or head bearings but we'd check both sides front and rear wheel bearings, plus the swingarm bearings and the rear linkage for play. Warped discs sound unlikely but not impossible. You'll generally feel a pulsing at the lever before they'll start to affect handling.

If they are causing problems it could be corrosion build up behind where the discs mount so it might be worth taking them off and cleaning away any that has built up. Remember some discs are meant to have some free play on their mounting bobbins (commonly called floating discs) but can seize solid and seem to be warped. You can often free them up by cleaning the bobbins with brake cleaner and working them by hand to restore any play.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: Anonymous: Anonymous ()  Wednesday, 22 February 2012 @ 11:24 AM ICT  

It can also be the suspension gas leaking rear shock or just a very old shock that needs replacement

By: sd1415 (offline)  Wednesday, 22 February 2012 @ 08:21 PM ICT  

Quote by: CottonCool

My motorcycle started to feel like the steering going a bit wobbly on high speed, sweeping bends. It certainly wasn't like this before and I'd like to sort it before it gets any worse. Someone suggested it was warped discs. Does that sound likely and if so, how should I fix them?

A couple of questions will help everyone help you

MAKE OF MOTORBIKE

MODEL

YEAR

KILOMETERS

100% ORIGINAL or ANY AFTERMARKET PARTS

SERVICE HISTORY (ever had the front or rear suspension checked or worked on) (front and rear tyre wear condition)

It could be several singular or combined factors and this information could help us help you.

BUT, you do not want any level of "steering wobble" regardless of at what speed...you will end up OFF THE BIKE and INJURED.

You need to sort it out and do it quickly

Look forward to reading your reply answers and lets see if we can help you fix it.

Cheers

SD

sd1415

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Anonymous: CottonCool ()  Sunday, 26 February 2012 @ 02:21 PM ICT  

The bike is a Kawasaki ER6N bough in 2007 from Kawasaki Thailand, never used any aftermarket products and the bike is still 100 percent stock trim. Service always done by Kawasaki

By: sd1415 (offline)  Sunday, 26 February 2012 @ 09:06 PM ICT  

Quote by: CottonCool

The bike is a Kawasaki ER6N bough in 2007 from Kawasaki Thailand, never used any aftermarket products and the bike is still 100 percent stock trim. Service always done by Kawasaki

Hi,

With that being said, I would start a serious of checks like I had to on my own Ninja.

Check your steering stem nut (mine was loose from the dealer once).

Check all front end nuts and bolts (front axle, brakes. triple yoke etc).

Buy a good quality/accurate Tyre Pressure Guage and check the pressures (inlate / deflate to withing specs) my experience is here in Thailand the service guys "over inflate them".

Correctly adjust your rear shock to suit your body weight (Kawasaki factory setting is preset for a 150lb rider).

These are the first "easy" 4 checks...the next couple of steps are more serious and costly.

Service the front forks (change the fork oil) Kawasaki factory specs are always "under filled" and also refill with 15wt oil (not 10wt oil like the factory specs).

Look at your tyres (2007 might mean it is time to change them). If the bike sits for long periods on the side stand, the tyres they can get "flat spots" and you can notice them when riding...if this is the case get some front and reat paddock stands and lift the bike off the ground.

Hope this helps and lets you remove the dangerous "wobble".

Cheers

SD

sd1415

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association