By: Anonymous: Anonymous ()  Wednesday, 12 October 2011 @ 06:19 PM ICT (Read 2295 times)  

Staying here in Jomtien Thailand with a non-immigrant visa I decided to buy a small used motorcycle instead of renting one;for a long period ( rental is usually 3000 bth per month). I found good occasions rather quickly. The best one was a Honda Airblade, 3 years old with only 12000 km, which was standing in a garage unused since 18 months, because its owner, an American had supposingly died abroad more than a year ago, as his friend, who offered the bike for sale, told me

There was no green book or other papers available. The bike had only a normal licence plate and a tax-sticker expired in April 2553. But as the price was only 10.000 bth., I bought it immediately.

I am conscious that without the green book and the former owner dead abroad, I can never become legal owner of the bike, but it was very easy to get a new tax-sticker and compulsive insurance in the vehicle registration-centre in Banglamung.

The only thing they asked me to present was the expired tax-sticker and a copy of my passport. All together it cost me 360 bth. They traced back the bike on their computer, verifying that it was not stolen. That was all.

They also assured me that with a valid tax sticker, a prove of legal insurance ,a valid thai driver licence I am entitled to drive it's everything in Thailand. The prove of ownership is not necessary.

By: andyc (offline)  Thursday, 13 October 2011 @ 06:46 PM ICT  

Quote by: Anonymous

Staying here in Jomtien Thailand with a non-immigrant visa I decided to buy a small used motorcycle instead of renting one;for a long period ( rental is usually 3000 bth per month). I found good occasions rather quickly. The best one was a Honda Airblade, 3 years old with only 12000 km, which was standing in a garage unused since 18 months, because its owner, an American had supposingly died abroad more than a year ago, as his friend, who offered the bike for sale, told me

There was no green book or other papers available. The bike had only a normal licence plate and a tax-sticker expired in April 2553. But as the price was only 10.000 bth., I bought it immediately.

I am conscious that without the green book and the former owner dead abroad, I can never become legal owner of the bike, but it was very easy to get a new tax-sticker and compulsive insurance in the vehicle registration-centre in Banglamung.

The only thing they asked me to present was the expired tax-sticker and a copy of my passport. All together it cost me 360 bth. They traced back the bike on their computer, verifying that it was not stolen. That was all.

They also assured me that with a valid tax sticker, a prove of legal insurance ,a valid thai driver licence I am entitled to drive it's everything in Thailand. The prove of ownership is not necessary.

Not so sure if someone needed to make a claim on insurance how you would stand not being legal owner,but saying that i made claim on my pickup couple of years ago didnt ask for the owners book.

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association