By: Anonymous: Johnathan ()  Wednesday, 21 September 2011 @ 06:28 PM ICT (Read 4023 times)  

A question for everybody who has a motorcycle, do you go by the manufacturers' recommendations for servicing? Particularly oil and filter changes? I know some companies recommend long oil-change intervals, with others even suggesting a new filter on every other oil change.

So is everybody following these guidelines or do you change oil more frequently, like at 4000 or 5000 kilometers intervals? Do you use the manufacturer's recommended oil and specified weights or do you splurge for the higher-end synthetic oils?

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 21 September 2011 @ 09:33 PM ICT  

Personally I try to follow manufacturer recommendations for all scheduled maintenance, not just oil changes.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: BikeBKK ()  Thursday, 22 September 2011 @ 07:51 AM ICT  

Sometimes, lazy bastards that we are, we miss an oil-change interval by a few hundred kilometer, and we might not inspect the air-filter element or check the steering-head bearings exactly when prescribed. But, I have the idea that most riders in Thailand, for the greater part, follow the owner's manual.

By: Matty (offline)  Thursday, 22 September 2011 @ 11:30 AM ICT  

When i took my Yamaha Spark 135i for its first service, I had a Thai friend with me , we waited and watched the service and when it was time to change the engine oil, i got him to ask them to use the best oil they had.
I was suprised to see them go to the Oil shelf and come back with a bottle of Honda engine oil. I didnt question why but guessed they must know what they are doing.
Just seemed funny to me , no Motul or other aftermarket brands but Honda oil in a Yamaha bike.
cheers
Matt..

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: SD ()  Thursday, 22 September 2011 @ 03:52 PM ICT  

Quote by: Johnathan

A question for everybody who has a motorcycle, do you go by the manufacturers' recommendations for servicing? Particularly oil and filter changes? I know some companies recommend long oil-change intervals, with others even suggesting a new filter on every other oil change.

So is everybody following these guidelines or do you change oil more frequently, like at 4000 or 5000 kilometers intervals? Do you use the manufacturer's recommended oil and specified weights or do you splurge for the higher-end synthetic oils?

I never change the oil without changing the filter....it is quite pointless putting clean oil trough a dirty filter.

I use non syntheitc for the first 2 x 1000km services to help the engine bedding in process.

I now use fully synthetic oil every 1500-2000km max (I am a oil and filter service freak, many other riders would do 3000 - 5000 km)

But the oil and filter here in Thailand are so cheap why not do it.

Many new sportsbikes do beneift from this misex oil bedding in process...older bikes do not like the new fully synthetic oils, they were designed and built for the older spec oil.

But I work my little Ninja 250R for a 350km + Uban Commute each week, so I take care of her as much as I can.

But I have raised the oil spec.eg from 10W30 to 10W40 due to the Heat Temps that by bike experiences in the BKK traffic and it has helped the gearbox and hot shifting (before I change she used to find "neutral" all the time when hot...now she is perfect) I know a few other guys that have also done this (raised it one spec due to the heat)

All Bike OEM's have their Brand Oils made my a Major POL so there is no need to buy "genuine" as long as it is a reputable brand and SAE spec.

Cheers

SD

By: Anonymous: seedy ()  Sunday, 11 December 2011 @ 10:34 AM ICT  

Every 500 km - both my HD and scooter. Oil filter with every change.

Do not use HD trans oil / primary oil - 500 baht per Litre when I can buy 5 litres of PTT for 420 Baht. 10W40 engine oil same viscosity as 75W90 gear oil.

Use HD engine oil just because I can not find 60W oil of any other brand.

By: Anonymous: seedy ()  Sunday, 11 December 2011 @ 10:35 AM ICT  

OOPPSS - make that 5000 km

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association