By: JJK (offline)  Saturday, 17 September 2011 @ 06:45 PM ICT (Read 9807 times)  

I've uncovered this information (Honda Thai brochures, online):

The 125i:

- has a wheelbase 13mm longer

- is about 7kg heavier

- has smaller supplied tires

- has a seat height 18mm greater

- produces 6.84 kw at 7500 rpm. (Does anyone know the power output of the 110i?)

Any other reasons to spend another 10,000 baht on the 125i?

JJK

JJK

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Big Guy (offline)  Saturday, 17 September 2011 @ 09:08 PM ICT  

Hi JJK

As someone who has ridden the 110 and the 125 extensively, I'd advise you to ride both and then decide. I'm a big guy - six foot four and 240 lbs so my experience is colored by my size. Your mileage may vary, as they say! Here is what I found and what I know:

The 110 could not handle me going up Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai, which is not a particularly onerous climb. When my son visited me (180 lbs), he rented a 110 and it bogged down with him too on the way to Doi Suthep. He took it back to the rental place (Bikky - great people, well maintained motorcycles at a bargain price) and picked up a 125 cc Wave. The 125cc handled him and me (solo) with no problem. Both the 110 and 125 were new machines and operating well.

I'm not sure about power output 110 v 125 but the driving experience is vastly different. Even if you are a lighter person, you might want to carry a passenger. You should also remember that a larger engine doesn't have to work as hard as a smaller engine to produce the same result, so the 125 will naturally last longer.

Then again, if you're only in LOS (Land of Smiles) for a year and short on bread, the 110 might do you and then sell it.

I never noticed that the tyres on the 110 were different than the 125, but they are too narrow for my taste. I eventually bought a PCX and I'm happy with it.

Cheers!

Big Guy

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: Bill ()  Saturday, 17 September 2011 @ 09:36 PM ICT  

Excellent discussion. I personally have the idea that you not have to search the differences that much in the engine power. I ask a Honda sales guy, be real – why buy a 125cc Wave 125i... and the answer was on long roads and longer rides it rides much more comfortable... more stable (probably the 13mm longer wheelbase) and less rpm... and on rides like that much more fuel efficient.

By: Anonymous: Cashboy ()  Tuesday, 20 November 2012 @ 01:53 AM ICT  

Interesting points there.

I think there must be some higher rate of tax on anything over 110cc and then again over 125cc

The 125i can come with electric start .
It is a 3,000 bt option.

Is it worth the money?
Does the starter weigh more and hence knock the fuel consumption and top end speed down?

I would say that in Thailand you could use the Honda wave on the motorways and keep up with the flow of traffic but wouldn't want to do it for long periods; say over 60km distance and not sure if these engines are built for this.

By: Anonymous: JJK ()  Tuesday, 20 November 2012 @ 10:50 AM ICT  

I bought a new Honda Wave 110i over a year ago and have put 12,000+ km on it, much of it 1-up on the highway on a long road trip around N. Thailand, including the mountains. No Problems!

Get about 65 km/l so no need to worry about fuel costs. Highways no problem at 80 kph. Could go faster but I find it too windy and risky. My cruising speed is 70.

I've also driven with up to two women on it. :-) Again, no problems. A hill would be a problem with 3 people. But me at 180 lbs and a friend at about 120 lbs have not been a problem. 2 people on a road trip? Go for the bigger bike! I would have bought - minimum - the 125 for this.

I had rented 100s, 110s and 125s and thought that a 125i, with electric start was what I needed. Agreed that the 125i is somewhat better than the smaller Waves but, for me, not worth the extra money.

Also, when I got used to the kick start, I don't miss the electric start at all. It's all just part of the experience.

I am proud to ride what the Thais are riding. When the Thais see my license plate from across the country, I think it might even inspire them and encourage them to do some traveling on their Honda Waves.

By: Anonymous: Jeffrey ()  Tuesday, 20 November 2012 @ 09:48 PM ICT  

11 months ago I got a wave 125i it is the older style. The new ones are fatter, wider seat. bigger tank 5.5 vs. 3.7 and more storage. But been very happy with mine.

mine is kick start and a few times I had wished . . . . .

I avearage mid to upper 60's kpl where my wife gets up to 78 just amazing

110 cc is 8.9 hp where the 125 is 9.8 so less than one.

I have nearly 20,000 on mine. I have taken it all over Thailand. Does fine. Both 1 up and 2 up. With the two of us on a trip that is over 200 kg of weight. Mae Hong son loop was fun 2 up

we have added a basket and rack/
The tires were to skinny for me so now have better Donlo 80/80 front and 90/80 rear. have widder rims too. Shocks were upgraded but that is about all

Would be happy to do another 20,000 km on mine.

and I usually ride at 100 kph. it will do nearing 110 on level ground and down a big straight hill be did a 130 kph GPS reported.

the 125 had a duel light up front but can anyone really tell until one burns out and your glad you had 2

6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association