12 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Anonymous: SD ()  Monday, 29 August 2011 @ 05:12 PM ICT (Read 5975 times)  

Hi Guys

We just over 2000km on my new 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition so I thought I would share a bit of general info with you all.

I am very happy with the little bike as it is perfect for my 50km round trip per day commute and a de-stress "blast" around on the weekend (nothing too long distance, as the OEM gearing to too low for me and the OEM seat hurts my A after 50km in one hit - I am 105kg and that OEM seat compresses really quickly.

I have added a few aftermarket mods (Slip On Carbon Pipe, HEL s/s brake lines and will add some EBC F & R Pads (to the FA197HH Sintered units) as soon as they arrive at EBC Thailand., depending how these EBC pads go I may or may not change the OEM Rotors to the new EBC XC Floating Stainless Disc on the Front and the new EBC C Solid Disc on the Rear.

The OEM Brakes and their performance were my only real concerns as the vast majority of my riding is in the Urban / City area and the brakes get very hot and stay hot normally until I stop and park.

BUT, then it started to rain a lot recently...now my biggest and most critical concern are the OEM Tyres!

IRC Road Winners:

130/70-17 PX-01R - Rear
110/70-17 RC-01F - Front

The choice of OEM Tyres by Kawasaki Thailand is insane (it must have been a pure commercial decision by "bean counters” to maintain low costs)...but at the expense of their loyal customer’s safety...?

This tyre is NOT SUITABLE AT ALL for any degree of WET WEATHER, which as we know, Thailand has a LOT OF RAIN?

DRY WEATHER is no problem at all, it is a good little tyre and does the job well enough (not a "track day" tyre but for everyday DRY use, it is suitable for me and most riders.

In the last two weeks I have nearly laid the bike down 5 times due to loss of grip traction whilst cornering, albeit in the heavy rain, but not riding hard at all.

This is more times in two weeks than the past 10+ years in Australia (Tasmania, and we get some good rain down there).

The last time I was negotiating a U Turn Bridge and the bike just "slipped out" from under me mid corner...I was on down on the knee slider and had the bike in "throttle on, opposite lock" like some possessed Jawa Speedway Rider in about 1-2 seconds until she came upright again (too old for that shite to happen again).

After the initial shock, fear and shaking went away, I was a mad as hell that this was always happening in the wet...I even went back again to check for Oil etc on the U Turn Bridge...nothing, but water.

The only thing that got hurt was my "pride", not even a scratch on the Ninja.

Well I have made my decision and I am off to buy a set of Pirelli MT75's or Metx Lasertec's or Dunlop GT501's...something that is superior in the WET. I do not think I need to go up into the "high end" spec of B'stone BT45's or the Pirreli Sports Demons for a Ninja 250R (and I am too old for "track days"Wink

Also if these high performance tyres "grip" in the WET they sure as hell will "stick like shite to a blanket" in the DRY, albeit they may last less kilometres but I am OK with that small sacrifice.

I am more concerned about Wet Weather safety than how long a tyre lasts etc. Cost is a pre concern but ultimately any High Performance tyre (even the BT45's and Sports Demons) can be quickly and easily justified when compared to the cost of medical expenses and person injury.

Cheers for now guys, ride safe

SD

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, 31 August 2011 @ 03:37 PM ICT  

Tires for motorcycle manufacturers are always an headache, tires cannot be expensive, and even if the tires are a bit high on the price, manufacturers need to be able to predict pretty accurate the tire lifespan for service purposes (sure in Thailand it would not matter if the manual says, replace tires after 5,000 kilometers and the tire shows too much wear after 4,000 kilometers). But in some countries in the world, if a manufacturer gives service specifications, they need to be right.

The IRC RoadWinner is a relative hard-compound tire, and manufacturers can very accurate predict the lifespan of the tire.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: andyc (offline)  Wednesday, 31 August 2011 @ 04:44 PM ICT  

Quote by: ThaiDesign

Tires for motorcycle manufacturers are always an headache, tires cannot be expensive, and even if the tires are a bit high on the price, manufacturers need to be able to predict pretty accurate the tire lifespan for service purposes (sure in Thailand it would not matter if the manual says, replace tires after 5,000 kilometers and the tire shows too much wear after 4,000 kilometers). But in some countries in the world, if a manufacturer gives service specifications, they need to be right.

The IRC RoadWinner is a relative hard-compound tire, and manufacturers can very accurate predict the lifespan of the tire.

These companys should be held accountable for the tyres they put on the new bikes they sale.This day and age not a tyre for performance in dry weather all condtions would be better.I have found out in the past from what the post wrote

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, 31 August 2011 @ 07:41 PM ICT  

The biggest reason is the 'accountability' for the tire selection. In countries like the USA manufacturers can be facing lawsuits if they predict the tire life wrong.

For example Kawasaki writes in the owners manual that the rear tire should be replaced after 4,000 kilometer (purely virtual number), but a rider in the USA slips in a corner because the tire worn a bit faster than the manufacturer predicted – I can hear it already lawsuit and serious claims...

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:

By: andyc (offline)  Wednesday, 31 August 2011 @ 09:00 PM ICT  

The biggest reason is the 'accountability' for the tire selection. In countries like the USA manufacturers can be facing lawsuits if they predict the tire life wrong.

For example Kawasaki writes in the owners manual that the rear tire should be replaced after 4,000 kilometer (purely virtual number), but a rider in the USA slips in a corner because the tire worn a bit faster than the manufacturer predicted – I can hear it already lawsuit and serious claims...

please would you advice me to change my tyres from the bike i bought new.i am really worried that my tyres are not up to scratcth.ive had broken collar bone broken back,cracked ribs,broken leg before,and on on new bike in the 90s,Is Thailand laws allow them to fit sub standard

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, 31 August 2011 @ 09:39 PM ICT  

The IRC RoadWinner tires are from International standard and are road legal, and considered safe enough, in all countries in the world for riding on public roads.

For better performance you can look at tires from Pirelli, Bridgestone, Dunlop GT-series, and Micheline.

The grip will improve but also remember that the tires will wear much faster... so keep that in mind with service plan...

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Matty (offline)  Wednesday, 31 August 2011 @ 11:11 PM ICT  

These excuses for fitting cheap inferior tyres sound like a lot of Bull....t to me. If the motorcycle companys are worried about law suits for incorrectly stating the expected tyre lifespan, then dont quote it. Just write "replace the tyres when they are worn to the depth indicator or as per tyre manufacturer reccomendations.
Its a pure penny saving exersise and nothing to do with lawsuits.
Ditch the cheap crap tyres and invest in good quality rubber, if not to improve the cornering and ride performance of your bike, then definately for your own safety.
If you are buying a new bike, negotiate a deal with new good quality tyres fitted upon delivery, you may get them free with the bike or at a good discount as the tyres you are replacing are still brand new and the dealer can sell them to someone else.
Matt..

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: SD ()  Thursday, 01 September 2011 @ 12:11 PM ICT  

The IRC RoadWinner tires are from International standard and are road legal, and considered safe enough, in all countries in the world for riding on public roads.

For better performance you can look at tires from Pirelli, Bridgestone, Dunlop GT-series, and Micheline.

The grip will improve but also remember that the tires will wear much faster... so keep that in mind with service plan...

I agree

What is "international spec and standard" and what is "sports bike suitable" are two very differnt things.

I also know many people do not even get on their bikes when it is raining (or looks like rain) so the IRC's will be fine for them forever

I personally rate Dry and WET Grip far above how long the tyres last.

I also have no problem getting the bike serviced seperatly from the tyre replacement if I have to (Kawasaki Rama 9 is 10-15 mins form me)

That is why I am off to go new tyre shoppping as soon as I can...

The IRC tyres off the Ninja are destined to be "toys for my golden retriever dog"

Cheers guys, ride safe

SD

By: Anonymous: Chom ()  Thursday, 01 September 2011 @ 01:40 PM ICT  

What sportbike tyres? IRC doesn't make sportbike tires

www.irc-tire.com/mce/

By: news (offline)  Thursday, 01 September 2011 @ 02:21 PM ICT  

I'm pretty sure that the main reason manufacturers go for IRC RoadWinner tires is the financial aspect of the tire. The IRC RoadWinner tires are cheap, are road legal, and as said before, do a lot of kilometers before needing replaced.

Sure good sportsbike tires from Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli and Michelin are much better, but they also cost twice the price...

So if you really want to push your bike to the limits, you should change the tires.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: silenzo (offline)  Saturday, 05 May 2012 @ 09:51 PM ICT  

I still use the OEM tyre from the manufacturer. Now in considering to change it to Battlax 090 or 092. In addition, am considering also option to change the size of the tyres, front: 120/70/ and rear 150/60. Many people said that i need to change the rear rim to rim of ER6.

silenzo

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: Jeffrey ()  Sunday, 06 May 2012 @ 08:04 AM ICT  

Quote by: SD

I am very happy with the little bike as it is perfect for my 50km round trip per day commute and a de-stress "blast" around on the weekend (nothing too long distance, as the OEM gearing to too low for me Change the front sproket for a few hundred baht. I now run a 16 tooth front to lower the RPMs and the OEM seat hurts my A after 50km in one hit - I am 105kg and that OEM seat compresses really quickly. I am 100+ kilos I have done 1300km days on my seat with no problems. You can get Gel seat pads or inserts for about 1400 Baht

BUT, then it started to rain a lot recently...now my biggest and most critical concern are the OEM Tyres!

The choice of OEM Tyres by Kawasaki Thailand is insane (it must have been a pure commercial decision by "bean counters” to maintain low costs)...but at the expense of their loyal customer’s safety...? I have over 24000 km on mine with never a problem. I will upgrade when it is time to replace them, but they have never let me down

In the last two weeks I have nearly laid the bike down 5 times . . . A term used by less experanced riders . . .

Also if these high performance tyres "grip" in the WET they sure as hell will "stick like shite to a blanket" in the DRY, albeit they may last less kilometres but I am OK with that small sacrifice. A tire that does better in the wet has more water channels to drain the water away and less traction in the dry.

SD

Good luck with your new ride. know your bike And your abillities and stay with in them both

12 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association