By: Anonymous: John ()  Thursday, 28 August 2008 @ 06:26 AM ICT (Read 3650 times)  

How much maintenance do you really have to do to a drive chain? I've just got my first "big" bike - Kawasaki Ninja 250R. The handbook, which I downloaded, says I should paint on heavy oil every 1000 kilometers.

A friend of me, and motorcycle garage owner, tells me I should clean it with paraffin and use a chain lube from a tin. I've heard automatic oilers are good too. What is the best?

By: news (offline)  Friday, 29 August 2008 @ 01:53 AM ICT  

There was a time chains were really high maintenance. You had to take them off, boil them in grease and all sorts. These days the latest good quality O-ring and X-ring chains are almost maintenance free. I give them a squirt of decent chain lube now and then to keep rust away and it may help keep the seals supple too. You'll probably get even more life from a chain and sprocket if you do fit a Scottoiler.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Green ()  Wednesday, 03 September 2008 @ 12:52 PM ICT  

The Kawasaki EX250-J manual specifies drive chain lubrication every 300 kilometers.

By: Matty (offline)  Friday, 05 September 2008 @ 05:37 PM ICT  

Hi, just some info on chains from my experience.
Standard chains use less engine power than o-ring or x ring chains, however standard chains require more maintenance and chain lube. ( u can remove them and boil them in a pot of grease every 6 months or so to get the grease deep inside the rollers, this helps them last longer- still use chain lube regularly tho)
O-ring chains use a little more engine power altho last much longer and dont need as much chain lube ( Do not boil O-ring chains as they have small rubber O-rings each side of the rollers to keep grease inside similar to a sealed bearing)
X-ring chains are similar to O-ring but use a small rubber X seal instead of a O seal ( do not boil these either)
It is best to use quality Chain Lube on all chains as it will cling to the chain better than thick oil and will not fling off as much ( keeping your bike cleaner)
I find the Chain Lube in a spray canthe best. It is easy to use and if u have storage space on your bike u can keep it handy.
Dont over lube your chain, if u put on too much it will splatter over your engine and wheels as u pick up speed ( it is better to use a little bit more often than alot now and then.I put a little bit of lube along the outside edges of my chain every 2-4 weeks but depends upon how much u ride, every 300-400 km should be fine )
Hope this helps (keep your chain regularly lubed and it should last a long time)
from Matty..

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association