By: Anonymous: Somboon ()  Monday, 27 December 2010 @ 04:14 PM ICT (Read 4561 times)  

How far do new motorcycles really move the goal posts? At what point does a rider become equally as fast on stock new machinery vs. old modified machinery?

I ask as I'm interested in a Honda CBR150R, but I have the idea that if I buy a new one with fuel-injection I spend money for nothing. Because, if I buy a secondhand Honda CBR150R and spent a few thousand up to maybe twenty thousand to rebuild the engine and fix everything with the latest modifications I get a better motorcycle!!!

By: Anonymous: Dave ()  Monday, 27 December 2010 @ 06:15 PM ICT  

Quote by: Somboon

How far do new motorcycles really move the goal posts? At what point does a rider become equally as fast on stock new machinery vs. old modified machinery?

I ask as I'm interested in a Honda CBR150R, but I have the idea that if I buy a new one with fuel-injection I spend money for nothing. Because, if I buy a secondhand Honda CBR150R and spent a few thousand up to maybe twenty thousand to rebuild the engine and fix everything with the latest modifications I get a better motorcycle!!!

You have a good question. My opinion is that, yes, a secondhand Honda CBR150R Modified would beat the new Honda CBR150Ri (fuel-injection model) in some situations, but not all situations. The new 2011 Honda CBR150R steers better and is much, much more tractable in its power delivery, so would probably match the old Honda CBR150R on the stopwatch, but with much less sweat!

By: Matty (offline)  Monday, 27 December 2010 @ 06:26 PM ICT  

Hi Somboon, You really need to do some homework before you make such a decision.
The advantages of a new fuel injected model are, Increased fuel economy ( usually 15% or better fuel savings )
Less tune up maintanance ( no carby setting / adjusting / tuning - even more benefit for multi cylinder/carby bikes )
Much easier starting when cold or hot.
Motor is always near perfect tune, no matter what the altitude temperature or humidity, due to the ECU computer adjusting fuel / air/ timing etc with info from engine sensors.
Increased low rev torque and power. ( high rev torque and power is usually similar to carby versions )

You will need to look at the specifications of the new model bike and compare with the second hand model you are thinking of. See what has been upgraded on the New bike.
Get a quote for the engine re-build and other modifications the bike needs.
Remember you will usually not re-coup money spent on re-builds / performance mods when its time to sell the bike.
If the engine needs re-building, what else on the bike is worn out? ( suspension, bearings, chain/sprockets etc. )

If you can find a low kilometre, well cared for and maintained 2nd hand bike, then it may be a good option, But think seriously about a new bike, the peace of mind, every component is new, reliability, fuel economy and re-sale value of a EFI model may just be better value in the long run.

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: Mark ()  Tuesday, 28 December 2010 @ 06:03 AM ICT  

I think that, no, a superceded bike will generally be behind a new model with equal modifications. A one or two generation old model with enough suspension and engine modifications/work will match new bike, but not in all areas. The Japanese definitely know what they're doing in terms of development most of the time...

4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association