26 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: Anonymous: Tony ()  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 05:06 AM ICT (Read 16888 times)  

Hi, I live in Thailand and I have a retirement visa that I renew each year, i an 58. I want to buy a BMW 800 SG in the UK and import it to Thailand, the same bike in Thailand is more than double the price.

Can you help.

Tony

By: Anonymous: Bob ()  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 08:03 AM ICT  

Quote by: Tony

Hi, I live in Thailand and I have a retirement visa that I renew each year, i an 58. I want to buy a BMW 800 SG in the UK and import it to Thailand, the same bike in Thailand is more than double the price.

Can you help.

Tony

Most of the time, importing a motorcycle into Thailand will result in unpleasant, stressful, and depressing moments – this without thinking what the financial downfall is.

Basically, if your motorcycle is younger then 9-years old, you probably will paying a lot of import taxes. And even if your motorcycle is a classic and you want to import it, due hire a professional company to do it for you. You maybe think that this is expensive, but it's actually cheaper...

By: Anonymous: Chang Noi ()  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 10:14 AM ICT  

And when you have your BMW imported from the UK it will be 3 times the price. Unless you would import it via diplomatic channels.

So forget it, just spend the money here at BMW Barcelona in BKK or buy a Kawasaki Verys for less as in the UK.

Chang Noi

By: Matty (offline)  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 05:31 PM ICT  

Agreed, although bigger bikes are much more expensive than most western countrys, the hassle and taxes involved make the import of bikes almost prohibitive.
I suggest buying the Kawazaki ER6N or Verys as they are manufactured in Thailand, or look at some farang thai websites and keep your eyes open for a second hand good condition bike of your choice.
cheers
Matt..

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Richard (offline)  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 06:22 PM ICT  

To explain the import duty and taxes I made a small calculation example, for this example I use the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic, this motorcycle is not made in Thailand – but is still available from Kawasaki Thailand.

The Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic costs in Europe 8,895 Euro (1 Euro = 39.28 Bht) makes 349,395.60 Baht. For freight charges we calculate 20,000 Bht (probably higher). By now you think, it's a good deal to import this motorcycle to Thailand and save more then 100,000 Baht. But let me show you how the Thai customs will calculate the import duty and what you would pay if the bike arrives in Thailand.

Then the calculation for import is 349,395.60 + 80% duty is 628,912.08 Baht

For Excise tax is 628,912.08 Baht + 30% = 910,514.50 Baht

For Interior tax which is 910,514.50 Baht + 10% = 1,001,565.95 Baht

And last is the Thai sales tax which is 7% making the end price 1,071,675 Baht and 57 Satang. Now you have the motorcycle in Thailand and need to pay about 80,000 Baht fee to get it registered as a legal road going vehicle (to get license plates and register papers). So for 1,151,675 Baht and 57 Satang you're legal to ride your motorcycle in Thailand

You can buy the same Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic with factory warranty, service and support in Thailand for 460,000 Baht (new out of one of the showrooms from Kawasaki Thailand).

For motorcycles from 9-years or older the Thai customs have special discounted import duty. But not forget you likely cannot register this old motorcycles in Thailand because the very strict Thai exhaust emission rules. You can find a table with the discounts for import duty here [staticpageBig Griniscount_Rates_for_Secondhand_Vehicles Discount Rates for Secondhand Vehicles]

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Anonymous: Ron ()  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 07:20 PM ICT  

This is a brilliant thread, started from an innocent and naive question!

Thumbup

By: Richard (offline)  Monday, 13 December 2010 @ 08:05 PM ICT  

The BMW F800GS costs in new in Thailand 770,000 Baht, what looks expensive. But the BMW F800GS costs new around £ 10,995 in England.

£ 10,995 makes 511,817 Baht and 25 Satang. Which means that an English BMW F800GS will cost in Thailand 1,569,859 Baht (twice the price of what it cost in Thailand, and you have no warranty or service from BMW Thailand)

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: jay2112 ()  Tuesday, 22 March 2011 @ 03:49 PM ICT  

Hi, i have a 1 year visa, i want to import my 16 year old good condition triumph sprint to thai from the uk later this year.....i know how much shipping is £550
I know how much it is to register(if i bother!) but am a bit confused about import taxes.....by what i can gather i wont have to pay much due to its age.
But can anyone give me a ballpark figure based on the fact that it is only worth around £750 and is 16 years old(am confident it will pass emisions tests i rebuilt the engine a year ago).
And what documents do you need? I have been on the customs website but i need someone to tell me in plain (im a bit thick) english. Also does anybody reccomend a good import?export agent, so i dont have to bother with all the paper work!!
Thanks
Jay

By: Richard (offline)  Tuesday, 22 March 2011 @ 04:41 PM ICT  

If you're going to import the motorcycle you will need the following documents:

1.) Motorcycle register book: how long have you owned the motorcycle; please send a copy to your custom clearing company.
2.) Motorcycle register plate: number of the plate and details,
3.) Copy of the passport of the owner of the car (current registered owner),
4.) Full details of the motorcycle, including engine size and horsepower output,

The average costs are;

1.) Import license from ministry of Commerce (5,000 THB needed before shipping),
2.) Import license from Thai Industrial Standard Institute (2,500 THB needed before shipping),
3.) Customs formality (5,000 THB)
4.) Domestic shipping charge (4,500 THB)
5.) Handling Charge (2,500 THB)
6.) Custom Administrative surcharge (270 THB)
7.) Duty/Tax (Table of Tax and Duty Rates)
8.) Storage Charge (depend on time)

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Permdig (offline)  Monday, 13 June 2016 @ 02:27 AM ICT  

I'd advise against it if you're doing it to try and save money. It's still going to be expensive with the shipping costs and I'm not sure what sort of import taxes there are, but they can sometimes be ridiculously high. Before moving forward, I'd contact a company with experience doing it and see what you're getting in for. I had a friend in another forum recommend a company they used, but I can't recall at the moment. I think it might have been A1 Transport inc but I'm not certain.

Edit: From 2010, nevermind.

Permdig

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: news (offline)  Monday, 13 June 2016 @ 10:43 AM ICT  

Quote by: Permdig

I'd advise against it if you're doing it to try and save money. It's still going to be expensive with the shipping costs and I'm not sure what sort of import taxes there are, but they can sometimes be ridiculously high. Before moving forward, I'd contact a company with experience doing it and see what you're getting in for. I had a friend in another forum recommend a company they used, but I can't recall at the moment. I think it might have been A1 Transport inc but I'm not certain.

Edit: From 2010, nevermind.

Yes since 2010/2011 lots of things have changed in Thailand regarding the import of motor vehicles, one important big change is that it’s currently not possible to import a used motorcycle.

Most websites, including the Thai customs website still write that it’s possible, but the now-a-day required import permit is something you cannot get and therefore import of a used or secondhand motorcycle is not possible.

Another thing that is also important for people to know is that currently Thailand prohibits the import of used tires. Even if the used tires are mounted on a set of wheels you import, the shipment is confiscated or you are given the option to send it back...

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: honse ()  Wednesday, 15 June 2016 @ 03:10 PM ICT  

I entered Thailand on my Moto Guzzi from Sadao border, and recive 180 days tempery import permission on regest. free of charge.
I have now travelling around on my bike in Thailand with danish number since 2012 without any problem.
Only a littel visa run for the bike every 180 days.
www.aseanmctour.dk

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 15 June 2016 @ 03:24 PM ICT  

Quote by: honse

I entered Thailand on my Moto Guzzi from Sadao border, and recive 180 days tempery import permission on regest. free of charge.
I have now travelling around on my bike in Thailand with danish number since 2012 without any problem.
Only a littel visa run for the bike every 180 days.
www.aseanmctour.dk

For now, you can indeed still ride around on a motorcycle with a foreign license. Sadly, this will likely soon change, as the Thai government is set to want more strict control on foreign tourists riding motorcycles and other vehicles in Thailand.

For example the English language newspaper the Bangkok Post wrote on 15 March 2016 “Foreign tourists will be banned from driving motorcycles and motor homes into Thailand as part of measures to control an influx of foreign vehicles onto Thai roads”.

We not know when the government want to implement this new rules, but it’s unwise to ride a motorcycle in Thailand that need every 180 days a ‘visa run’ border crossing… We cannot advice people to use border-run motorcycles option as an alternative….

news

Group Comfort
Level:

By: Anonymous: honse ()  Wednesday, 15 June 2016 @ 04:03 PM ICT  

Have read about it
Until it change, it is the most easy way to take your bike to Thailand, and it is free of charge.
I am still trying to figure out, how to get a green book on my bike, and as soon I know how to do, I will let you know.
A officer at the costums told me. I have to bring the bike out of Thailand, and ask about permission 15 days before to import it.
Another told me, because I want to live in Thailand, and I bring my bike as a privat belongings, having it for more than 10 years i will get up to 70 pct discount on the tax. I just need to find the office, who can do it for me. I will be very happy for any help. send a message on my homepage.
www.aseanmctour.dk

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 15 June 2016 @ 07:29 PM ICT  

Quote by: honse

Have read about it
Until it change, it is the most easy way to take your bike to Thailand, and it is free of charge.
I am still trying to figure out, how to get a green book on my bike, and as soon I know how to do, I will let you know.
A officer at the costums told me. I have to bring the bike out of Thailand, and ask about permission 15 days before to import it.
Another told me, because I want to live in Thailand, and I bring my bike as a privat belongings, having it for more than 10 years i will get up to 70 pct discount on the tax. I just need to find the office, who can do it for me. I will be very happy for any help. send a message on my homepage.
www.aseanmctour.dk

It will change sooner or later, what I understand is that the rules for exceptions will have some limitations. Rumor is also that the 180 days will be reduced to 30 days… Similar as visa on arrival for people…

Officially the Thai government still has the option to import a secondhand motorcycle, the problem is that they just not issue any import permits… The import permit officially would only take 15 days to process, but reality is a bit different…

I was told that the rules for private belongings when you move to Thailand are currently also changed and not include a motor vehicle anymore….

news

Group Comfort
Level:

26 posts :: Page 1 of 2
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association