By: Anonymous: AJ ()  Tuesday, 16 November 2010 @ 01:43 AM ICT (Read 2683 times)  

Hey all,

I ll be straightforward. Would like to buy or if its better rent a motorcycle in Thailand (Bangkok) en drive it through Cambodiah and Laos.
I have a tourist-visa 60 days and not a valid motorcycle license, just international car.
I know its probably not legal to do so but is it possible to make it work? I ve had good experiences in Indonesia with a similar case, so was wondering how Thailand works on that..
Any other way out is welcome too of course.
thanks for advices!

By: Anonymous: Leon ()  Tuesday, 16 November 2010 @ 01:55 PM ICT  

Quote by: AJ

Hey all,

I ll be straightforward. Would like to buy or if its better rent a motorcycle in Thailand (Bangkok) en drive it through Cambodiah and Laos.
I have a tourist-visa 60 days and not a valid motorcycle license, just international car.
I know its probably not legal to do so but is it possible to make it work? I ve had good experiences in Indonesia with a similar case, so was wondering how Thailand works on that..
Any other way out is welcome too of course.
thanks for advices!

Not much rental companies will rent motorcycles with the ability to leave the country. Second, probably not much rental companies will rent you a big bike, simply because the risk of the insurance company not paying in case of an accident is just to great (I not talk about medical cost and possible legal claims here, but pure damage to the motorcycle).

You can buy a motorcycle without a drivers license, and in most cases you will get away with showing your car drivers license. But in case you're involved in a accident it depends if the insurance company will pay. If you for example kill somebody in traffic, will riding without a legal drivers license, you can expect claims from the family of over 1 million Baht (often the number is higher, if it involves a foreigner and especially if the foreigner was breaking the law).

2 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association