By: oldmankit (offline)  Wednesday, 27 October 2010 @ 02:37 PM ICT (Read 3524 times)  

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get stuck into working out my Phantom properly. I know labour is cheap here but I really want to learn to fix my bike myself, as a hobby.

Should I buy only Honda bearings (no doubt expensive), or are pattern parts OK for a part like this? If so, where should I pick them up? Would I need to take the old bearings out first to show them exactly what size I need? I can't find a parts list for this bike anywhere.

I live in Chiang Mai.

Thanks.

oldmankit

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, 27 October 2010 @ 04:47 PM ICT  

Quote by: oldmankit

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get stuck into working out my Phantom properly. I know labour is cheap here but I really want to learn to fix my bike myself, as a hobby.

Should I buy only Honda bearings (no doubt expensive), or are pattern parts OK for a part like this? If so, where should I pick them up? Would I need to take the old bearings out first to show them exactly what size I need? I can't find a parts list for this bike anywhere.

I live in Chiang Mai.

Thanks.

I repaired a few motorcycles in Thailand, and Honda is using regular available bearings. Most bearings you find on Honda motorcycles can be bought or at least ordered at shops who have nothing to do with Honda. Often the bearing you can buy from this shops are of better quality, from internationally known bearing manufacturers like SKF or others.

I have no idea where in Chiang Mai you can find shops that sell bearings, but I'm sure if you contact SKF Thailand they can point you in the right direction. If you not speak Thai, it's best that you show the old bearing so that the shops can look at the markings or measure it to give you the correct replacement.

Telephone number of SKF Thailand is 02-296-9300

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: news (offline)  Wednesday, 27 October 2010 @ 05:34 PM ICT  

Here Replacing your Wheel Bearings you can find a bit more information on how to replace a wheel bearing.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: oldmankit (offline)  Thursday, 28 October 2010 @ 04:04 PM ICT  

I got the bike up onto my new stand this morning. There was no free play on either wheel.

I had sensed the bike felt a bit wobbly at higher speeds. The Honda dealer tightened a bunch of things, and I kinda felt it still wasn't perfect. It guess if there is still a problem, it's not the bearings.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

oldmankit

Group Comfort
Level:

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Thursday, 28 October 2010 @ 05:15 PM ICT  

I got the bike up onto my new stand this morning. There was no free play on either wheel.

I had sensed the bike felt a bit wobbly at higher speeds. The Honda dealer tightened a bunch of things, and I kinda felt it still wasn't perfect. It guess if there is still a problem, it's not the bearings.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Wobbling wheels is probably unbalanced wheels, this is often the main source of wheel bearing failure so it's advices to let somebody look after it.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:

By: oldmankit (offline)  Thursday, 28 October 2010 @ 07:13 PM ICT  

Wobbling wheels is probably unbalanced wheels, this is often the main source of wheel bearing failure so it's advices to let somebody look after it.

I looked that up on youtube, it involves finding the light spot on the wheel and then adding weights to it, is that right?

It looks easy but I don't know think it's worth buying the equipment. I'll see if my local Honda service centre will do that for me.

oldmankit

Group Comfort
Level:

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Friday, 29 October 2010 @ 08:35 AM ICT  

I looked that up on youtube, it involves finding the light spot on the wheel and then adding weights to it, is that right?

It looks easy but I don't know think it's worth buying the equipment. I'll see if my local Honda service centre will do that for me.

Yes, for wheel balancing – especially for speeds of 80 to 120km/h and beyond – you need sophisticated machines which can even detect the smallest problem.

Anyway balancing the wheels of your motorcycle doesn't cost that much in Thailand.

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association