12 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Anonymous: Michael Forrest ()  Thursday, 21 October 2010 @ 07:42 PM ICT (Read 12615 times)  

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'd like to ask for your help please.

I am looking at buying an automatic scooter. I have been renting a Nouvo (Elegance I think? - too lazy to go check downstairs now) and am very happy with it. However, I would like to compare it to some other models and get some suggestions in regards as to what to buy and what is best, particularly in Phuket.

Also, could someone please clarify the difference between spoked and alloy wheels and which one is better and why please?

thanks,
mike.

By: Anonymous: Nui ()  Thursday, 21 October 2010 @ 08:10 PM ICT  

Quote by: Michael Forrest

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'd like to ask for your help please.

I am looking at buying an automatic scooter. I have been renting a Nouvo (Elegance I think? - too lazy to go check downstairs now) and am very happy with it. However, I would like to compare it to some other models and get some suggestions in regards as to what to buy and what is best, particularly in Phuket.

Also, could someone please clarify the difference between spoked and alloy wheels and which one is better and why please?

thanks,
mike.

Hello Mike,

When you think about buying a scooter/motorcycle in Thailand, the best advice is to look around your area what dealers you have. If Yamaha is the nearest, Honda second and Suzuki the farest from you home, than Yamaha should be the first place to look Honda second and so...

I say this because there's nothing more annoying than pushing a not working scooter to the dealer. Technical and mechanical most motorcycle on the Thai market are of good quality, especially the more well known Japanese brands.

If you like the Yamaha Elegance 135 it's likely that you will also like the Suzuki Hayate 125i, the Suzuki is equipped with a fuel-injection and therefore more likely to be capable of running on modern (ethanol) fuels.

The difference between spoke-wheels and aluminum-alloy wheels is not that much, I always have the feeling that it's more eye-candy. As the aluminum-alloy wheels for smaller motorcycles and scooters in Thailand often are not lighter then the spoked brothers. Also a spoke rim is easily to repair after its out of balance while a alloy-wheel needs some serious attention and most of the time alloy-wheels are beyond repair after an accident.

With spoke-rim-wheels you very likely not able to use tubeless tires, but than we talking about a scooter for everyday around town transport, if you're looking for something to do some racing you should probably look for a totally different two-wheeler.

By: Anonymous: Michael Forrest ()  Friday, 22 October 2010 @ 12:07 AM ICT  

Hello Mike,

When you think about buying a scooter/motorcycle in Thailand, the best advice is to look around your area what dealers you have. If Yamaha is the nearest, Honda second and Suzuki the farest from you home, than Yamaha should be the first place to look Honda second and so...

I say this because there's nothing more annoying than pushing a not working scooter to the dealer. Technical and mechanical most motorcycle on the Thai market are of good quality, especially the more well known Japanese brands.

If you like the Yamaha Elegance 135 it's likely that you will also like the Suzuki Hayate 125i, the Suzuki is equipped with a fuel-injection and therefore more likely to be capable of running on modern (ethanol) fuels.

The difference between spoke-wheels and aluminum-alloy wheels is not that much, I always have the feeling that it's more eye-candy. As the aluminum-alloy wheels for smaller motorcycles and scooters in Thailand often are not lighter then the spoked brothers. Also a spoke rim is easily to repair after its out of balance while a alloy-wheel needs some serious attention and most of the time alloy-wheels are beyond repair after an accident.

With spoke-rim-wheels you very likely not able to use tubeless tires, but than we talking about a scooter for everyday around town transport, if you're looking for something to do some racing you should probably look for a totally different two-wheeler.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Khun Nui,

Many thanks for your kind and informative response, much appreciated!

I don't have any of those official dealers anywhere near pushing the scooter to the dealership unfortunately.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the pros and cons of Yamaha Elegance 135 vs. Suzuki Hayate 125i? Which one would you personally buy (new, automatic) and why please?

It seems as though you are more in favour of spoke-wheels. Any additional safety benefits on alloy wheels? I am mostly concerned with safety. I know alloy is also more expensive so I figured there would be a reason? Also, do they have wet/dry/all-round tyres in thailand or only all-round? I've heard the latter before, not sure whether it's true. As it rains a lot in Phuket I would want to Phuket rain tyres on it if possible (again, because of safety).

Tubeless tires? Are these worthwhile? Should I be trying to have them? What are the benefits? I do use it just for transport to and from work but it's about 20km+ each way and I tend to go quite fast but definitely not for racing nor elaboration purposes, just transport.

thanks a lot again if you have time to answer these further questions then I think I'm good! Cheers.

Mike.

By: Flying Squirrel (offline)  Friday, 22 October 2010 @ 10:59 AM ICT  

I used to commute 25 kms each way but on a motorbike. I enjoyed it but it may have worn thin on a small scooter.

My 2c if money is not an issue I think I would go Honda PCX. Why? Because it is the largest and therefore most stable. For commuting you need to arrive at work fresh, relaxed, dry (if possible). On the way home you can have some fun. If there are hills on your route the bigger the engine the better, to keep up with or in front of traffic.

On the other hand as you are already happy with the one you are currently renting.... the grass is always greener.

As for "better" wet weather tyres. I don't know what tire dealers there are in Phuket and whether anyone stocks "scooter" tires from for example Bridgestone. As long as the OEM tires are kept at the correct and not overinflated pressure they will be OK. For some reason in Thailand over inflation seems to be de rigueur. Just check the tread depth is OK and replace them more often.

Flying Squirrel

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6

By: Anonymous: Jeffrey ()  Friday, 22 October 2010 @ 11:43 AM ICT  

I am 6'2" 100 KM I have a Honda PCX - after getting it and my friends trying it, several traded in there units, including Yamaha 135's to get the PCX
Mine was 70,000 Bt out the door with 1 year full insurance.

I get over 100 MPG using it
I have taken it from Chaing Mai to Nong Khai to Tak and back in 4 days 2300 km 2 up with no problems getting always 46 - 50 KPL (100+ mpg) All the mountian passes were not problem either, and I know you have many down there in Phuket. Though smaller than we have.
I also like the large under seat space to bring things to work, or things from the store home

Any of the offerings are good. I like water cooled over air. More dependable and longer lifed. I also like a 125 over 108 (click) or other smaller units
The honda PCX 125 has more HP than the 135 Yamaha

By: Richard (offline)  Friday, 22 October 2010 @ 12:16 PM ICT  

If we really honest, the Yamaha scooters available in Thailand are the most low-tech from the Japanese brands available in Thailand, maybe even some models from Sym are technological more advanced. But low-tech not always needs to be less reliable – but most scooters from other manufacturers are more fuel efficient then what Yamaha is offering.

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Anonymous: Michael Forrest ()  Sunday, 24 October 2010 @ 06:00 PM ICT  

Honda PCX? Will have to look into that, I don't know it.

I' ve heard about the yamahas not having the fuel injection thing which makes them less fuel efficient but that's not really a huge problem for me... I'll do a bit more research on this honda pcx tho, sounds good!

thanks!

By: Anonymous: Michael Forrest ()  Sunday, 24 October 2010 @ 07:45 PM ICT  

The Honda PCX does look really good... ! Any ideas on where I can buy it in Phuket and how much I should expect to pay for it? Also, are they likely to let me test drive it before I buy it or... ?

thanks,
mike.

By: Anonymous: SportRider ()  Sunday, 24 October 2010 @ 08:22 PM ICT  

Test rides are mostly no no's, but I think you can rent one (if you play it smart, you ask the rent company if you can test ride it a bit). I was told by a friend who also lives in Phuket that he paid just over 70k, what is about 1,000 Bht more expensive that in Bangkok.

By: Anonymous: michael ()  Sunday, 24 October 2010 @ 09:22 PM ICT  

thanks a lot sportrider! Will try to find someone who sells it, check out the price then rent one, you're right... duh didnt think of that.

Do you know where in Phuket your friend bought his? Is there a 2011 model of this out on the thai market already or... ?

thanks again,
mike.

By: Anonymous: Jack Corbett ()  Thursday, 24 November 2011 @ 09:21 AM ICT  

I hate to bust everyone's bubble on Yamaha Elegances being thirstier than its competitors especially the Honda PCX Here's the real facts http://www.alphapro.com/Aprillooking11/pcxshootout.html Also.....whoever said in here that the PCX 125 cc. engine makes more horsepower than the Elegance's 135 c.c. engine, what makes you think so? Where are your facts? I've gone all over the internet searching for figures released by Honda for the PCX's horsepower and have come up empty, and when I've found figures from other sources they have run from a relatively anemic 10 horsepower (the Elegance makes 11.2 h.p.) to a figure matching the Elegance. I've noticed Honda likes to claim its Air Blade (before) and now its PCX has more power than the competition but it's been very silent about backing its claims up. No such problem with Yamaha however. All over the internet one could find the figure 8,9 h.p for its earlier Nouvo, the 115 c.c. MX and it's now the same thing with the Elegance...11.2 h.p. The last thing I've got to say is this....someone over at Thai Visa tested a handful of bikes with his GPS and found that the PCX had a top speed of 99 kph versus 109 for the Nouvo Elegance. Now.....think guys....doesn't that make a lot of sense....the Elegance weighs 40 to 50 pounds less than the PCX, it offers up 135 cc's to the PCX's 125, and Honda is reluctant to release its horsepower figures.

By: andyc (offline)  Thursday, 01 December 2011 @ 07:16 PM ICT  

Quote by: Jack Corbett

I hate to bust everyone's bubble on Yamaha Elegances being thirstier than its competitors especially the Honda PCX Here's the real facts http://www.alphapro.com/Aprillooking11/pcxshootout.html Also.....whoever said in here that the PCX 125 cc. engine makes more horsepower than the Elegance's 135 c.c. engine, what makes you think so? Where are your facts? I've gone all over the internet searching for figures released by Honda for the PCX's horsepower and have come up empty, and when I've found figures from other sources they have run from a relatively anemic 10 horsepower (the Elegance makes 11.2 h.p.) to a figure matching the Elegance. I've noticed Honda likes to claim its Air Blade (before) and now its PCX has more power than the competition but it's been very silent about backing its claims up. No such problem with Yamaha however. All over the internet one could find the figure 8,9 h.p for its earlier Nouvo, the 115 c.c. MX and it's now the same thing with the Elegance...11.2 h.p. The last thing I've got to say is this....someone over at Thai Visa tested a handful of bikes with his GPS and found that the PCX had a top speed of 99 kph versus 109 for the Nouvo Elegance. Now.....think guys....doesn't that make a lot of sense....the Elegance weighs 40 to 50 pounds less than the PCX, it offers up 135 cc's to the PCX's 125, and Honda is reluctant to release its horsepower figures.

Couple things you forgot to add on your report that you wrote on the looking glass,Elegance is not comfortable for the passenger they have to keep there legs up higher which causes backache,pcx has a more natural sitting position,the pcx can use the greener fuels which are cheaper so the cost of your trip the pcx wins,not the same as you stated

andyc

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

12 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association