By: swick (offline)  Wednesday, 22 September 2010 @ 07:14 AM ICT (Read 3024 times)  

Hi guys. I recently bought a Vulcan 800. The frame has a VIN from Japan, and the engine has a VIN from Thailand. I'm trying to get more info on the engine in particular. The frame is a 2000 and has a standard 17 digit VIN, while the engine has a completely different VIN and only 13 digits. Most important piece of information I need is the manufacture date of the engine. The VIN is VN800AE073524. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

swick

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

By: ThaiDesign (offline)  Wednesday, 22 September 2010 @ 08:07 AM ICT  

Quote by: swick

Hi guys. I recently bought a Vulcan 800. The frame has a VIN from Japan, and the engine has a VIN from Thailand. I'm trying to get more info on the engine in particular. The frame is a 2000 and has a standard 17 digit VIN, while the engine has a completely different VIN and only 13 digits. Most important piece of information I need is the manufacture date of the engine. The VIN is VN800AE073524. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

The Kawasaki Vulcan 800 is never been official released in Thailand, so it sounds a bit strange that your engine has a Thai engine number. Kawasaki Thailand was established as a joint enterprise in 1997 and at that time it produced mostly small motorcycle 112, 125, 150cc motorcycle.

The Thai production facility is mostly for motorcycle products aimed at the Southeast Asian market. I'm not sure if the Kawasaki Vulcan 800 was ever official released in any Southeast Asian country.

That brings me to, why do you think that the engine number is a Thai engine number?

ThaiDesign

Group Comfort
Level:
: +30

By: swick (offline)  Thursday, 23 September 2010 @ 06:05 AM ICT  

In doing the research to try and find info on the 13 digit VIN, I came across another website where someone had stated:

"Some Kawasaki Thai dealer info, based on his beliefs; no digit on VIN refers to model year or factory on the Thai built bikes; first 5 digits are model, last five are build order sequence, the 7th character is either an “ E ‘ or “ – “ , referring to engine or chassis number, this dealer had no idea about 6 and 8 digits on these thai 13 number vins."

This is so far, the only piece of information that made sense about my engine #. The 1st 5 digits are the model: VN800A, and the E for engine. I don't know about anything else. But bear in mind the frame for my bike is that of a Vulcan 800B.

swick

Group Comfort
Level:
: 0

3 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 134 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association