14 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Anonymous: Daniel ()  Wednesday, 11 August 2010 @ 01:23 PM ICT (Read 13386 times)  

Hello!

Anyone know where I can get a brand new 250 2-stroke or 450 4-stroke MX bike in Thailand?'
The brand I really want i KTM(but I think that's a bit hard to find), but a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki would do just fine.

Anyone got a clue?

Thanks!

/Daniel

By: Matty (offline)  Thursday, 12 August 2010 @ 12:22 AM ICT  

only thing i can suggest is going online to the main Honda Kwakka Yammie Suzuki and KTM websites, using the contact us feature and asking if they have the Motorcross bike or can supply you one if u order one.
Im sure the KTM dealer in Bkk will get u one if they dont have one.
As far as i know there is motocross events in Thailand
If anybody knows where they are held , how often or dates of events i would love to know and go and check out some of the racing
is there a thai motocross club website????
cheers Matt.

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: Daniel ()  Thursday, 12 August 2010 @ 11:35 AM ICT  

Quote by: Matty

only thing i can suggest is going online to the main Honda Kwakka Yammie Suzuki and KTM websites, using the contact us feature and asking if they have the Motorcross bike or can supply you one if u order one.
Im sure the KTM dealer in Bkk will get u one if they dont have one.
As far as i know there is motocross events in Thailand
If anybody knows where they are held , how often or dates of events i would love to know and go and check out some of the racing
is there a thai motocross club website????
cheers Matt.

So there is a KTM dealer in Bkk? Any clue where?

It's a lot of competitive racing here in the Buri ram area (Only seen it once myself though, haven't had any time to go look Sad ).
There should be racing all over Thailand since there is a lot of big names sponsoring the races and the riders, I don't know any site though.
Here is a place you can visit if you want to rent and ride a MX bike yourself, this guy also might be able to answer some questions about where to find racing too. thaivisa.com/forum/topic/283513-motocross-kanjanaburi/

If it isn't possible to get the bike I want.. How does importing of a dirt work? Prices? Papers? etc.

Take care guys!

By: Richard (offline)  Thursday, 12 August 2010 @ 02:01 PM ICT  

Motocross motorcycles are not something what distributors or dealers have on the price list, but they are available in Thailand.

For example the new 2011 Kawasaki's

KX450 is about 840,000 Baht
KX250 is about 762,000 Baht
KX100 is about 468,000 Baht

Motocross motorcycles come only with import papers, getting a license plate is nearly impossible.

A lot of people in Thailand who want to do some motocross in the weekend start with buying a Kawasaki KLX250 and modify this to get better off-road performance. (think of modifications to the engine, suspension and losing some weight.) And with the Kawasaki KLX250 costing only 150,000 Baht you can see why a lot of people going for that option.

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Anonymous: Daniel ()  Thursday, 12 August 2010 @ 03:37 PM ICT  

Quote by: Richard

Motocross motorcycles are not something what distributors or dealers have on the price list, but they are available in Thailand.

For example the new 2011 Kawasaki's

KX450 is about 840,000 Baht
KX250 is about 762,000 Baht
KX100 is about 468,000 Baht

Motocross motorcycles come only with import papers, getting a license plate is nearly impossible.

A lot of people in Thailand who want to do some motocross in the weekend start with buying a Kawasaki KLX250 and modify this to get better off-road performance. (think of modifications to the engine, suspension and losing some weight.) And with the Kawasaki KLX250 costing only 150,000 Baht you can see why a lot of people going for that option.

WTF is up with those prices?! That can't be the right prices for the pure light dirt bikes thats meant for racing on a motocross track.. Hell thats more expensive than a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-r10(name??
I read on a other forum with a guy owning a motor-park and he wrote something that you could buy a new Yamaha 250 for 250-300k.

And I don't want any registration or anything, I just want to use the bike on the track.

As i asked above, Anyone who know what the import tax is on dirt bikes? the same 77% as it is on road bikes? And since I'm not going to be running the bike on the road I guess should not need to sign any other papers, or am I wrong?

By: news (offline)  Thursday, 12 August 2010 @ 07:05 PM ICT  

The story is that Thailand has a 178% import duty on two-wheel vehicles, we know that some people do import motocross motorcycles by illegal border imports and somehow not paying the official import tax. But if the revenue department find this bikes you in serious problems, and they not only check on public roads, they can come into your house by any means to check your motorcycle. Trust me you not want to have a problem with the revenue department in Thailand. The police in Thailand look like sheep .....

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Richard (offline)  Thursday, 12 August 2010 @ 07:24 PM ICT  

Because of a Thai and Japanese trade agreement, there's currently a reduced import duty on motorcycles with a engine size less then 250cc. Therefore a 250cc motocross motorcycle from Japan can be almost twice in price cheaper then before..

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Anonymous: Daniel ()  Thursday, 12 August 2010 @ 08:44 PM ICT  

Quote by: news

The story is that Thailand has a 178% import duty on two-wheel vehicles, we know that some people do import motocross motorcycles by illegal border imports and somehow not paying the official import tax. But if the revenue department find this bikes you in serious problems, and they not only check on public roads, they can come into your house by any means to check your motorcycle. Trust me you not want to have a problem with the revenue department in Thailand. The police in Thailand look like sheep .....

I never talked anything about not paying any tax or doing anything illegal. I just asked what has to be done while importing a dirtbike that's not going to be run on any road.
But thank you for confirming the ~77% added import tax!

By: Matty (offline)  Thursday, 12 August 2010 @ 09:31 PM ICT  

Yeah i know what u mean WTF the prices are crazy, as far as im concerned a Motocross bike is a piece of sporting equipment, not a vehicle. the high rediculous taxes should not apply. But sounds like they do.
Might be worth buying and importing one from overseas, near new or new. might be able to get it classified as farm equipment ( i know this works for quad bikes ) or even sporting equip.
Or break it down and send it over in bits ( large bits ) as spare parts.

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Anonymous: Daniel ()  Thursday, 12 August 2010 @ 09:50 PM ICT  

Quote by: Matty

Yeah i know what u mean WTF the prices are crazy, as far as im concerned a Motocross bike is a piece of sporting equipment, not a vehicle. the high rediculous taxes should not apply. But sounds like they do.
Might be worth buying and importing one from overseas, near new or new. might be able to get it classified as farm equipment ( i know this works for quad bikes ) or even sporting equip.
Or break it down and send it over in bits ( large bits ) as spare parts.

Wow, Thanks! That sounds like a great idea, if it's possible.
I'm going to make some calls about this before I just import s bike and pay the added 77% for nothing Smile

By: Anonymous: Rembrand ()  Friday, 13 August 2010 @ 10:29 AM ICT  

Yes the import duties for motorcycles is crazy, and importing the motorcycle in parts will make it cheaper. Still the motorcycle you build from imported parts is not “completely” legal in Thailand as you did not pay the excise tax, and the revenue department can confiscate your motorcycle.

What are the chances that a customs officer is checking motorcycles at the local motocross site? I have the idea that you can get away with it. Normally the excise tax is checked by road blocks, but as you don't use your motocross bike on the public road you should be fine.

P.S. Be careful with the law in Thailand, for instance walking with a motorcycle by holding the handlebar on the public road is not allowed. Basically when the wheels turn is the indication that a vehicle is active on the public road in Thailand. In some other countries this definition is when the rider is siting on the motorcycle, and other countries its when the engine is active...

By: news (offline)  Saturday, 14 August 2010 @ 09:49 AM ICT  

The complete rules for permanent importing a motorcycle are located here, [staticpageRazzermanent_Import_of_Personal_Vehicles Permanent Import of Personal Vehicles] the import duty is 188% but according to the age of the motorcycle you can get discount on the import duty, for that see our [staticpageBig Griniscount_Rates_for_Secondhand_Vehicles Discount Rates for Used/Secondhand Vehicles].

For examples how to calculate the amount of import tax you need to pay for a motorcycle you can take a look at Table of Tax and Duty Rates.

news

Group Comfort
Level:
: +34

By: Anonymous: Daniel ()  Saturday, 14 August 2010 @ 12:16 PM ICT  

Quote by: news

The complete rules for permanent importing a motorcycle are located here, [staticpageRazzermanent_Import_of_Personal_Vehicles Permanent Import of Personal Vehicles] the import duty is 188% but according to the age of the motorcycle you can get discount on the import duty, for that see our [staticpageBig Griniscount_Rates_for_Secondhand_Vehicles Discount Rates for Used/Secondhand Vehicles].

For examples how to calculate the amount of import tax you need to pay for a motorcycle you can take a look at Table of Tax and Duty Rates.

I found those links last night Thumbup But thanks for taking your time to share the information!

BTW! How long time do you have to wait for a damn confirmation e-mail when you register an account?

By: Anonymous: Will ()  Thursday, 07 October 2010 @ 12:06 PM ICT  

Hello

Any luck on finding a SH or new MX bike? I have just arrived in Bangkok and want to get myself a dirt bike for trailing and whatnot...... Thinking about getting one from Singapore and trucking it up in pieces, what do you think?

No email confirmation yet either

Will

14 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 132 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association