By: Matty (offline)  Tuesday, 15 June 2010 @ 09:50 PM ICT (Read 5083 times)  

When i get to Thailand in about a month I would like to buy a new 125cc-135cc underbone style motorcycle.
the bike i like is the Yamaha spark 135i
my question is- if i buy new from a Yamaha dealer, Will i have to have a red numberplate and be restricted to riding during the day up till 8pm or will it come fully licenced with a ''normal"" plate so i can ride it as i wish ?????

Any advice or help appreciated.
Matty...

Matty

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2

By: Richard (offline)  Wednesday, 16 June 2010 @ 09:18 AM ICT  

If you buy the motorcycle, and live in Bangkok you probably will not get any red plates. The reason is that in Bangkok you have your greenbook within a few days, this can take a bit longer if you're living up country.

It's indeed true that with a red license plate you're not allowed to ride on your bike after 8pm, but, when I had red plates on my car I had no problems with police... Yes, the often complained about the red plates but if I told them that I was on my way home it was no serious issue. Riding without plates is a fine of 200 Baht...

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: Anonymous: masuk39 ()  Thursday, 15 July 2010 @ 03:00 PM ICT  

Could someone tell this ignorant farang what a 'green book' is?

I hope to buy a bike soon after arrival in Thailand, and may be around for a year or two. I'm not sure that I'd like to ride at night, but it may be necessary if I eat out or whatever,

I will be in Chiang Mai, if this makes any difference, and will have an International Driver's Licence..

By: Anonymous: SIMM ()  Thursday, 15 July 2010 @ 03:13 PM ICT  

A greenbook is basically the administrative paperwork what comes with the license plates of a vehicle.

By: tigersachsclub (offline)  Sunday, 18 July 2010 @ 08:47 AM ICT  

Quote by: Richard

If you buy the motorcycle, and live in Bangkok you probably will not get any red plates. The reason is that in Bangkok you have your greenbook within a few days, this can take a bit longer if you're living up country.

It's indeed true that with a red license plate you're not allowed to ride on your bike after 8pm, but, when I had red plates on my car I had no problems with police... Yes, the often complained about the red plates but if I told them that I was on my way home it was no serious issue. Riding without plates is a fine of 200 Baht...

Richard , even in nakhonsawan you have no redplates needed anymore, as per local DLT info.
I think the red plates may be a thing of the past...but really depends on which province you are at ( which is the confusing part).
Would be nice if the DLT would agree on things they do, nationwide.

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox
"i wanna ride you!"

tigersachsclub

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

By: Richard (offline)  Sunday, 18 July 2010 @ 09:22 AM ICT  

The red-plates or temperately license plates are surely not a thing of the past. The main problem is that motorcycle dealers need to qualify to be able to use red-license-plates. To qualify, for the red-license-plates is the difficult part – the second part is the cost associated with being able to provide customers with red-license-plates. The motorcycle business is highly competitive, and spending a good amount of money on something other motorcycle dealer don't offer is considered stupid. Especially because the amount what needs to be paid is near the amount of having another motorcycle in stock.

Richard

Group Comfort
Level:
: +10

By: tigersachsclub (offline)  Sunday, 18 July 2010 @ 11:42 AM ICT  

Quote by: Richard

The red-plates or temperately license plates are surely not a thing of the past. The main problem is that motorcycle dealers need to qualify to be able to use red-license-plates. To qualify, for the red-license-plates is the difficult part – the second part is the cost associated with being able to provide customers with red-license-plates. The motorcycle business is highly competitive, and spending a good amount of money on something other motorcycle dealer don't offer is considered stupid. Especially because the amount what needs to be paid is near the amount of having another motorcycle in stock.

As you have posted yourself in BKK you are unlikely to get a red plate nor is it an issue in many other provinces...even Tiger Motors as manufacturer will tell the same as the DLT (no red plates needed) ....i am aware there is a law of having to wear a plate on any motorbike, but as in so many cases here they may have decided to not enforcing it anymore ( a bit like bikes with sidecar which are , with the exception of the tiger retro & sidecar, illegal here as not correctly registered as such).

The only advise i can give, whatever you have red plate or not, carry your papers (copy of proof of purchase) with and you should be fine...in the worst case scenario a 100 thb fine which may or may not relate to a missing plate, will be asked for :-)

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox
"i wanna ride you!"

tigersachsclub

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1

7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
Advertising
Poll

Do you like MotoGP racing? Which team do you like?

•  Yamaha
  •  Honda
  •  Ducati
  •  Apriiia
  •  Suzuki
  •  KTM
  •  No Specific Team
This poll has 0 more questions.
Results
Other polls | 135 votes | 0 Comments
TMEA MEMBER
Thai Motorcycle Enterprise Association